Dad diagnosed with Squamous cell carcinoma. Need some help and guidance please

• 2 replies
  • 143 subscribers

Hello,

it was detected my dad he is 73 had an upper right lobe pulmonary nodule late Feb 22 as part of a pre op for a non cancer related matter . Was recommended that his local hospital followed up on this. Some time passed and only received an appointment 4 weeks ago. Several tests later including a pet scan and lung biopsy it was confirmed he has lung cancer ( type Squamous cell carcinoma) his consultants words were we believe we have caught it in time? but said they wouldn't commit further until he see's the visiting surgeon on Monday. 

I feel angry that the hospital didn't investigate the nodule before then? or think it was more urgent. Now he is in the system he is being seen to quickly. Or am I right to believe that type of cancer is generally slow growing.

I suppose I feel both sad and scared for him. He has been through so many health problems over the years and now this. I just pray when he see's the surgeon that all be OK and he can be successfully treated.

Thanks so much for listening 

xxx

• Hi Bluecrayon, welcome to the group, but sorry to hear about your dad. 

I am sorry to hear that it has taken some time for your dad to get the tests to diagnose his cancer. It is very common for lung nodules to be very small, and for that patient to be put in the wait and watch category. We certainly hear a lot of that from members here in the group.  This may be what happened to your dad. 

It is good to see that a surgeon is looking at possible removal. That is something we don’t all get the chance to have, but is definitely the best option for a cure.

You may also be interested in joining the Carers only forum and the Family and friends forum where you can chat to other people in a similar situation to yourself. 

Good luck with the up coming appointment. Please let us know how he gets on x 

Chelle 

Try to be a rainbow,in somebody else's cloud
    Maya Angelou

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks so very much for your kind words , when I have my positive hat on I think that the fact he will see a surgeon gives me hope it can be removed xx