New Lung Cancer Diagnosis advice please

• 2 replies
  • 142 subscribers

Hello. My mum (78) was diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in both lungs and some of her lymph nodes only 2 weeks ago. She has great pain and it seems to snake all around her body. She’s on 10mcg morphine patch and has oromorph when needed which has started to be twice a day. She’s eating like a bird and it’s hard to get her to drink much. She’s more comfortable in bed. 

I’m worried she will just get weaker and weaker and don’t know if this is last stages. We have oncologist appointment next week to discuss treatment but been told it’s incurable. 

is anyone having a similar experience and could advise what is the best way to look after her? Do I just let her sleep all the time?

thanks. 

• Dear 
    im sorry to hear about your mother’s diagnosis. My husband has had a very similar diagnosis in March. At first he went downhill very fast and I was shocked. He has not been given treatment or offered anything. He got better after he had a drain of fluid which had built up in his pleural area. He’s now holding steady without any treatment. He’s living a very simple life and we just enjoy each day as best we can. 
    hope your mother can find some relief for her pain. 
    sleeping is probably all she wants to do right now. My husband sleeps a lot too. 
    I hope some other people come along and add their experiences too. 
    Take Care 

M

• Hello. Thanks for your reply. We are trying to get mums meds under control so she can do more. The pain seems dreadful and watching her suffer is the worst thing. 

All the best for you and your husband x