Advice for chemo radiation therapy

• 13 replies
  • 103 subscribers

Hi all, hope everyone is keeping OK.  My oh has been diagnosed with non small cell lung cancer it is T4N0M0 stage 3a.  Saw oncologist today, and I was expecting him to offer radiation treatment as it is difficult to remove surgically as it is close to centre of chest. However Oncologist has decided on Chemoradiotherapy 30 or 33 sessions of radiotherapy 5 days a week and 1 day radiotherapy and chemo for 6 weeks. 

My question is how bad is this combination of chemo and radiotherapy. Have read through forum and there doesn't seem to be a lot of info on it so asking if anyone has gone through something similar. Oncologist says he is fit so can take the treatment but reading side effects it scares the pants off me. Any help please. Thanks 

• Hi Gerry FS. Thanks for your reply and it seems you have been through the mill as well, but glad you are much better now. Thanks for the encouragement. My oh lost about stone and half in weight both before and during the treatment but like you he has been putting weight on and now is only about 3/4 stone short of his original weight. He is extremely tired since his bout of pneumonia and sepsis but we are hoping that will improve with time.

He is waiting for first 3 month scan but because of siezure could not have immunotherapy which is a shame as that would have given him a better chance, however he was told he could have it further down the line if cancer returns, as apparently you can only have immunotherapy once, which I did not know.

Good luck in your journey, and thanks for the encouraging words. 

• Just an update, he has an appt with oncogist for his results of his 3 month ct scan. Keeping fingers crossed for hoped for results. Will let all know, good or not so good

• Good News, hubby been to see oncologist for results of his 3 month post treatment scan, and have been told the tumour has shrunk significantly. The oncologist is very pleased with how treatment has gone - he was smiling when he said he was very pleased.  As he was out of time to be given durvalumab due to pneumonia and sepsis, he will have no further treatment until cancer recurs then he will have treatment with either chemo or chemo and immunotherapy or immunotherapy only, but for now we are delighted it has shrunk and will get another scan in 3 months time.  Will let everyone know then how things have gone.