Dad recently diagnosed with terminal lung cancer

• 12 replies
  • 105 subscribers

I found out earlier this week that my Dad has been diagnosed with terminal lung cancer which has spread to the lymphnode and bones Pensive It's all come as such a shock, as he was taken into hospital with mild heart failure last month and then after he had a CT scan they discovered he had lung cancer and its all escalated from there. I just can't believe what is happening and how quickly it has developed and spread... he was only in hospital a year ago with gallstones and there was no sign of cancer then Pensive I'm absolutely devastated and feeling every emotion that you can think of. They have advised that no treatment will be given due to him not being very mobile and his health in general. He isn't in any pain currently... we have been advised that only pain relief will be prescribed when the time comes. My Dad lives by himself and he is hopefully going home next week, after they have delivered equiptment for him (he's desperate to get back to his flat and to feel some normality). I want to spend as much time as I can with him and make the most of what time we have left (we haven't been given any idea in regards to life expectancy). I'm already exhausted with juggling work and visiting Dad. Has anyone got any advice on how to get the balance right? I hate the idea of him being on his own for long periods of time.

• Hi Poppy,

I am so sorry to hear that your dad passed away. The speed at which it happened must have been such a shock and you must feel robbed of how you had planned his time at home to be.  

I hope you can take some comfort in the fact that your dad did manage to make it home and that you were with him at the end.

Thinking of you lots at this very sad time and sending strength and hugs. xx

• Thank you all for you kind words xx

I'm just beyond devastated Disappointed I know it's going to be so so hard going into the new year without him Broken heart