What physio after lobectomy?

• 13 replies
  • 104 subscribers

Hi.

I had a right upper lobe out in September. Theoretically cancer free now.

I have had no support or physio advice since leaving hospitals and have no idea if my pain levels are 'normal' or not, what I should be doing (currently walking up hills until I can't breathe :-) ) whether my lung function is what I could expect etc. I have tried various approaches to work, travel, exercise and ended up mostly trying them until I feel in pain or very ill then stop. Doesn't sound terribly sensible. Who can help?

Dave

• Hi Chelle 

Thank you so much for taking the time to respond I really appreciate it. I did think it might be a long shot with Dave’s post being so long ago but likewise I’ve been on the off time over the past year but not posted much. 

I will see how things go on the new meds and maybe start another thread as you suggest.

Best wishes and hope you’re enjoying some sunshine today

Tracey x
    Got my boxing gloves   on and ready to kick cancers ass
  • Hi Tracey

Sorry to be so slow in replying and I hope that you have started your new thread and are getting bundles of helpful advice.

For me, I got no treatment or suggestions for treatment and  the neuralgia took just over  a year to clear.  Not ideal at all, but I am cancer free today so I won't complain.

I will say that I still feel somewhat abandoned after the operation but I suspect that is partly because I didn't need chemo.  And by the time I was really starting to be assertive over getting pain diagnosisi and physio support, Covid broke and they did genuinely have better things to do than help me. 

But I did get a better response when I became forecful just before Covid - which I helpfully caught just before the first lockdown - so I recommend being clear and strong about what probelms you are having.

Dave

• I had an open lobectomy last July and I am still getting pain where my drain was, I have since been prescribed stronger painkillers.
    I have never been much of a keep fit fan, but since November I have been doing Tai Chi, which has been a great help as I also have COPD. At first I found it difficult to control my breathing but the more I did it the better it has become.