What can I do?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 20 replies
  • 101 subscribers

I’m new to the forum, on Monday my mum was diagnosed with small cell lung cancer and today we found out it is stage 4. She is going to be starting chemo ASAP. They will be carboplatin and etoposide. 

I am a “doer” and I want to help my mum through this as much as I can, I just want to support her in the best way I can. I lost my grandparents this year and I’m not ready to lose my mum too x

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to FormerMember

That’s good you get to see her every day. My mum is around 45 minutes away so I can go up in between school drop off and pick up when I can’t juggle childcare. 

I think mum is going to start her chemo on Thursday, part of me feels relieved that something will be happening but the other part of me fears it’s the start of the end if that makes sense ... I just have so many mixed feelings about all of this 

• FormerMember

Fingers crossed that your mum can start her treatment on Thursday, so many people have told me it feels better once all the tests etc stop and treatment starts. Obviously our lovely mums are no doubt going to be feeling horrid but at least the fight has started!

Please try and keep positive, seems weird saying this to you because it’s all I’m being told at the moment and it is difficult.

Take care xx

• Hi. My mum had treatment for sclc and I can agree with Kegsy on everything. Chemo is brutal, offer help don't take over. Apetite does go but I found on times my mum did not want to eat she had fruit cake and cream, anything to increase the calories and keep the weight. I think it was round 3 she lost the hair from her head, nasal hair so had constant runny nose and eye lashes. She did not loose hair with the radiotherapy. This was 3 and a half years ago and hers was stage 3 extensive. Just support and do the things that take the most energy like changing the bed and food shopping. Make sure you are assigned a macmillan nurse, they are invaluable to answer all your concerns, and any small doubts ever over anything ring the numbers they provide when you start treatment whatever time of day, watch out for low sodium and changes in temperture and act on these and if in doubt go straight to the doctor/a&e with cancer they always acted when we were worried.  Nobody knows what to expect and this site helps you to realise you are not the only ones going through this.

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

After being diagnosed with small cell lung cancer that had spread  to my liver and pancreas in august /September . I was immediately treated with carboplatin and etoposide. Which relieved my symptoms dramatically and hope it will have the same effect on your mother. All the best to you and your mother. 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Kegsy

That is a really inspiring post Kegsy. Can I ask did you only have one round of chemo. I have done one round and radiotherapy and it has come back. I am waiting to start again once scan results are back 

thank you

• FormerMember

yes. good to see Kegsy posting to help SCLC  patients as not many around on here. 

• Hi JoAnne

I had 4 cycles of chemo alongside 33 days of high dose radiotherapy. My last treatment was at the end of 2011.

Don't give up; your next treatment could well be the one that destroys the SCLC.

Kegsy x

"If you are going through hell, keep going" ; Sir Winston Churchill
    " Cancer may take my life; however it will not become my life" Kegsy August 2011
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Kegsy

Morning Kegsy

thanks for the reply.  I try to stay positive and when I feel ok I try to do as much fun stuff as I can I usually suffer for it for a few days afterwards but I just feel I need to cram in as much as possible.

after reading your story you have really given me hope.

thank you so much - Jo

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

I got the same diagnosis as your mum  on 3 December last year. I’m being treated with the same chemo combo plus immunotherapy (Tecentriq). I’ve just finished my third cycle and am waiting for the results of my first scan since diagnosis. I am getting Tecentriq under the Early Access to Drugs Scheme (I think because the hospital feel a bit guilty having failed to notice a 2cm lesion in my lung in June which hadn’t metastasised). On diagnosis I had a 9cm lung lesion with metsto my liver and bones. 

The best way to support anyone going through this pretty tough chemo regimen is to be there for them. Everyone responds differently and you need to be led by your mum and what she needs to carry on as normal a life as possible. I have lost a lot of hair (about 80% on my head) but still have my eyebrows and other body hair though it is thinner.   I found the first round of chemo to be the worst. I got very nauseous because I stopped taking the anti nausea pills too early. In subsequent rounds I just keep swallowing them for a few days after the last session. 

I get very fatigued about 3 days after chemo and when I do, I just take to the couch!  I live alone (I’m 62) but my sisters and friends have rallied round magnificently And someone always stays with me during the active chemo and when I’m really tired. One of my sisters or a friend comes to every clinic appointment and every chemo session  Other than those few days I feel fine. both as company and to make sure that I don’t miss any vital information.  I don’t have any symptoms of the cancer - it was found while investigating something else. I’m not in pain or breathless and I’m continuing my normal activities. 

I drive to clinic and chemo sessions - and am fine to drive after chemo as the extreme fatigue usually sets in about 2 days after the final chemo session of the cycle. 

its very hard to be the carer or supporter of someone with cancer. Ive been both a patient (this is my second cancer diagnosis in 3 years) and the carer and as a patient all the resources are directed at you. You are scooped up and put on the treatment conveyor belt. For your friends and family  it’s hard to watch as your loved one goes through it.   but it’s a vital role and I would struggle without my ‘posse’. I am very independent and find it very hard to ask for help - so it’s a good job my pals just steam in. The thing I found most difficult  initially was telling friends and family - so my posse helped with that. My sisters told family members and my friends contacted our mutual friends. 

You know your mum best - be led by her and you won’t go too far wrong. 

• FormerMember

I forgot to say that I’m having six rounds of chemo so I’m halfway through. 

Anna xxx