Husband just been diagnosed....help!

• 14 replies
  • 105 subscribers

I am new to all this & feel completely alone & devastated that my husband has been diagnosed this week with lung cancer, he also has it in lymph node 2 so will need an operation to remove it then more treatments presumably chemo. To add to this he has Smouldering myeloma & a few other minor issues.

Its all so frightening & as my husband is the one that’s always been there to support me with my numerous ((not cancer) health problems I don’t know how we will cope. He was fit & very healthy before all this was found after a routine x Ray when he went to the GP with a chest infection.  

Its early days as he was diagnosed on Friday after CT & PET scans, bronchoscopy, biopsy, blood tests etc. I’m terrified & would appreciate any help, advice & support this community can offer. All the forthcoming appointments & treatments have overwhelmed us . Thanks to anyone who replies

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Jewel08

Hi Helen 

This is to look at the very bottom (excuse the pun) of the colon so it isn't particularly intrusive.

When I got a call for mine there was quite a wait, even for private. I explained it was part of my staging tests and they had a cancellation there and then, so if I could get there now, they would do it immediately.

So there was no preparation required, not even another wash and fresh knickers! 

They have a look round to see if they can see anything and the only way to describe it is they use what I think we're called billows to fan an open fire.

It is the colonoscopy if one is required that you need to take the formula and completely empty your bowels and watch what you eat in the days running up to it.

So it should be like a regularly appointment and doesn't take long. I hope that helps.

• Thanks Gina for replying so quickly. I’m really grateful. Here’s hoping my husbands procedure goes as smoothly as yours. He’s been bombarded with so many appointments for various procedures & it’s getting overwhelming trying to process & cope with it all. 

We were told that the PET scan & CT appeared to show small amount of diverticulitis so the consultant didn’t think the sigmoidoscopy would be necessary! Now he’s got an appointment for Sunday!

My husband has also got a head MRI scan onThursday to see if it’s gone to the head/brain in which case the planned op to remove a third of his right upper lobe of his lung won’t be done & everything will be reassessed . He’s seeing the lung cancer surgeon on Friday so three long trips this week that we weren’t expecting 

It’s like living in a parallel world & I wonder whether our lives will ever be the same again.

with best wishes Helen 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to Jewel08

No problem at all, I am glad it helped. I hope so too. I know the sudden appointments and tests are overwhelming. They are so important though as they want to know exactly what is what and the best way to treat anything they may find. It's busy but it gives you the answers sooner and hopefully he can start  his treatment. I think most agree it's the endless tests and wondering which is the worst part as it's like learning a whole new language.

When I started  posting it felt like people were talking in riddles as I did not understand the jargon or anagrams etc. 

They are just being thorough and checking everything out so please do not worry unduly. I hope the MRI goes well too. I hope this week isn't too long and tiring for you both.

For me and I am sure most feel the same, that life does change and a lot of things are put in to perspective, so not necessarily for better/worse, just different. I regularly see people bickering and making a fuss about such simple things and I just groan and think oh to have the capacity to be worried by their first world problems. My other enjoyment after being diagnosed, I try to always be polite to people, even those that you are not fond of but feel obliged to be civil to to keep the peace. After diagnosis, I stopped being nice and polite and stopped having to be civil to those I wasn't keen on. Very liberating!

Please do remember to speak to your GP about how you feel and perhaps some support to help you. We all know that is not just the person diagnosed that gets effected by it and there are many places of support for those surrounding them

• Thanks so much Gina. You’re amazing, I wish you all the very best & hope you’ll keep in touch when I post again. Helen