Lung cancer surgery

• 5 replies
  • 71 subscribers

I am due to have a lung lobe removed this week and needless to say am very anxious!   I have not had major surgery before.   Any advice please?   If successful, they are hopeful of a cure for me.

• Hello there,

Brilliant news that they are hoping for a cure! It’s absolutely natural to be anxious, it’s all the unknown. I am nearly 6 months post upper right Lobectomy and 98% back to normal. The 2% is every now and then I get a bit more breathless when exercising.

If you are having a video assisted surgery the first couple of days are probably the worst, but should not be painful as the pain relief is good - take everything offered. They will get you up within 24 hours and should show you how to cough to clear your lungs. They may also give you some breathing exercises. They will take the drain out - usually around the 48hour mark and you’ll be a lot more comfortable then.

Let’s face it, no one does this by choice, just treat yourself gently for the first few weeks and you’ll get through it. 

There might be a bit more information in my profile if you’d like, but feel free to ask anything.

I hope all goes well for you.

• Hello SongofSongs,

I had my right lung removed in 2014, the operation was on Tuesday and I was home on Sunday - I had never had an operation before and hadn't been in hospital and was petrified, but I can honestly say it wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. 

As Avidknitter says, they'll soon have you up and about and it's important to follow all advice for recovery including exercises recommended - so try to be be sure to do this as it's the quickest way towards a full recovery. 

The raelly good news is that surgery is the best route to a cure, I'm coming up to 10 years in June.

I hope all goes well for you and wish you success.

Made in 1956. Tested to destruction.
  • Thanks for the encouragement - I have my operation tomorrow

• Thank you for the information - I hope my operation is as successful!