Incurable bowel cancer and Folfox

• 1 reply
  • 15 subscribers

Hi, it’s my first post so hopefully I’m in the right place. My mum has had a very out of the blue bowel cancer diagnosis which has already spread to the liver. The only real symptoms she’s had is night sweats so it’s all been a whirlwind these last 2 months. Turns out the tumour perforated the bowel and she needed emergency surgery that was very successful, keyhole and no stoma. She’s recovering well. Chemo is about to start for the liver now using Folfox. We’ve been told it isn’t curable. I think we’ve both been too scared to ask how long we can expect, I’m just not understanding what incurable actually means? What can we expect and what should we be aware of with Folfox?

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

I'm sorry to read that your mum has recently been diagnosed with bowel cancer which has spread to her liver and I know what a difficult time this will be for the whole family.

As you know, the online community is divided up into different support groups, so I hope you don't mind me suggesting that you also join and post in the very friendly bowel cancer group.

If this is something that you'd like to do, just click on the link I've created which will take you directly there. Once you've joined you can then start a new post in the same way as you did here and join in with existing conversations by clicking on 'reply'.

It would be great if you could pop something about your mum's diagnosis and treatment so far into your profile as it really helps others when replying to you and also when looking for someone on a similar pathway. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username. What you've written here would be perfect to go in your profile 

If you have any problems finding your way around the community, just drop me a reply and I'll be pleased to help.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"