Post Op Bloating After Radical Left Nephrectomy - normal?

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 13 replies
  • 52 subscribers

Hi. I am four days out of hospital following a radical Nephrectomy (laparoscopic) on 19th September to remove my left kidney, which contained a 6cm tumour (biopsy results not yet known). It was all contained within the kidney and CT scans showed no further spread. Those of you who have had this operation, did you find your abdomen was still bloated for a while after the operation? Have just finished taking lactulose, so had put the bloating down to that - however the abdomen is still a bit bloated a day later. I am may be expecting a bit too much. 

• Hello I just had my kidney removed 7 days ago, open nephrectomy the PAIN whoa intolerable I can't take pain meds as after surgery I got covid in hospital and it made liver enzymes go up so I wondered tho why my abdomen would feel so big and like fluid in it still, it was my left kidney . 

• Hi Permanent Wave, I hope you're doing ok. Totally understand everything you have mentioned. I had my kidney removed, however by laparoscopic Robotic da Vinci machine. 
    I still had bloating 6 weeks after my procedure and I'd say it's only week 7/8 /9 that it has gone back to pretty much normal. I couldn't take ibuprofen,  codeine and tramadol made me very constipated therefore I had to make do with paracetamol, as we know paracetamol don't even touch a headache if severe!!! So you can imagine it wasn't pleasant! You may find it takes a while to go down fully. I had my op on 21/6/24  more info on my profile. Take care, hope that it starts to subside for you. How are you feeling in general? 

• Hi, I had the same robotic operation on the left side 3 weeks ago. Sleep has been horrendous as I get lots of pain at night and I’m very very tired and extremely bloated. Also only using paracetamol. How long did all of that last for you? Are you fully recovered now? 
    thank you Pray