Partial Nephrectomy mid May early June

• 8 replies
  • 43 subscribers

I have a mass on my kidney which will be removed robotically laparoscopically. I am terrified. I would like to know what it will be like. No jokes please. Thank you

• Hello and welcome to the group. I had  a total nephrectomy ( all of my kidney removed);, so slightly different to you. However, what I can say is that it want nearly as bad as I thought it would be. 

I expect that this has all come as a shock to you and then you have the worry of the operation….so is understandable that you are nervous.

I don’t know whether this will help, but these are the types of things I tried to focus on.

The first thing is the realisation that I would be asleep Blush So wouldn’t know anything about it.

I knew that the surgeon was very experienced, so although it was all knew to me, he knew what he was doing.

I accepted that the mass was there and needed to come out.

All of this helped me to have a positive outlook and I think aided my recovery. Please don’t think that I am minimising what you are going through…….because I know it’s hard.

Keep posting on here and we will hopefully be able to support you.

best wishes

Jules x

• I had a laparoscopic nephrectomy in 2020. I went into the operating theatre and woke up in recovery, still groggy. There was some pain but it wasn’t as bad as I expected, perhaps because the wounds are small. I remember pain relief, sleeping that night, and the staff checking on me throughout the night, so kind and supportive. They wanted to get me up and walking quickly, still in the post-op ward, and that was scary but manageable. The op was on Tuesday morning and I was home by Thursday. They gave me medication for pain but I soon found paracetamol was enough, though I know not everyone is the same. I was able to toddle about, moving carefully, a bit more each day. The dressings came off a week after I came home (by me) and I remember being amazed at how the wounds were knitting together. 

It is natural to be afraid. I had had a hysterectomy years ago and was just as scared this time. It wasn’t as bad as I expected. Of course, it is surgery and a major op. However, the catheter and IV were soon out, the wounds were small, the pain manageable, and the method of sealing and dressing the wounds much less intrusive. 

Hope this helps. Wishing you all the best for your op. 

• Thank you. That is very helpful

• Thank you for your replies. My kidney mass was found incidentally whilst having a CT colonoscopy. This was at the end of February. I’ve had two further CT scans one with dye and a nuclear bone scan to rule out bone cancer. I have a much smaller mass on the other kidney. We saw the surgeon and I was given a choice about treatment options. My pre op is the 8th May so all being well the op will be after that,

• Hi I had a partial nephrectomy end of November last year and I totally agree I focused on this needed to be removed. The surgeon was experienced for  the operation carried out. I even googled him !! 
    I think keeping in mind that this has got to be removed helped me cope mentally before hand . I hope all goes well 

• Hi EJ7861 - my story is as follows.

Had my partial nephrectomy last October at Charing Cross - I was in for 4 nights and needed it.

Like you I was scared - but while waiting to be called in to the anaesthetist, I just thought, I'm in the care of a team of people who have done this as their job for years, I've googled the surgeon who was really experienced so just thought, "trust the process", That worked for me.

My operation was partial so longer/more complex; radical is a "cleaner" version apparently - it took c5 hours. Team of nine in the theatre.

Yes, really groggy after the operation and it took c6 weeks to feel relatively normal again. 

Do take the recovery steady; gentle exercise for several weeks and walks on level surfaces.

Diet - ease off the salty food; that really makes the kidney work hard. Plenty of water too.

I'm on immunotherapy now - 4 sessions out of 9 completed - and all going OK.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

• Hello there.It's now 7 weeks since I had the same procedure as what you're having done. I kind of feel it was a wave of anxiety and emotion the month before - building up and getting bigger and then the surgery and since then it's been calmer. Note it's major surgery don't let anyone else (family etc) tell you different - it's a big shock to the system. I had 5 holes in my side which have only started to heal 2 weeks ago. I was in hospital 4 days and kind of enjoyed talking to other people on the ward in similar situations  - it was quite a positive experience can you believe. Take all the meds!

Unlike some other people, my recovery has been worryingly slow - progress is measured in weeks and months not days. I'm a runner and was pretty fit so thought I could shortcut the recovery - you just can't. My discharge sheet said I should be OK in 4 weeks. That wasn't the case for me. Consultant said last week no running for me for 10 weeks since op. But everyone is different so little point in googling, just get better listening to your body. Check your calories / steps/ time on feet if you have to and don't do too much too soon. Then there's the mental side which I'm only just working through now. Get a therapist if necessary it's a rollercoaster ride. Take care and hope it goes well.

• Thankyou. The replies are very helpful