Target therapy

• 6 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Started target therapy on my kidney cancer which has spread to my lungs. The Repeat oneoncologists did say it was upto me to start treatment as the tumours were small but it was better to treat now before they explode.

First two weeks I was fine they this week no. 3 Hours feel like I have been knocked out for six. My head spins and losty appetite. I am hoping it is not a side effect and a buy or virus. Taken two weeks sick and not sure how many more I can take before work gets p...s...ed off. My wife with ADHD goes through jobs like socks and has not worked for six months so I am the only wage coming in. 

1. Finding hard to be positive and want to lay in a corner.

• Sorry to hear it . Have you had clear scans up to now and you have only just found out about this recently ?

• They probably were there before but we're tiny they called them nodules. since the summer they have started to grow.

• I hope things improve for you 

• Hi Dandylion,

I'm so sorry to hear you are struggling with your new treatment. What are you taking? I started taking Cabozantinib 12 days ago and was doing OK symptom wise except for extreme tiredness and needing 2-3 hour naps in the middle of the day. I got a tummy bug Wednesday night and now I keep feeling waffy and have dizzy spells when stood up. So I'm not sure if these feelings are due to dehydration from the D&V or from the meds but it is a known side effect.

The nurse who gave me my meds said not to suffer in silence, there are lower doses if I can't tolerate it and sometimes they do 5 days on / 2 days off or 2 weeks on / 1 week off. So maybe get in touch with your nurse or point of contact and see what they suggest. I rang the 24 hour advice line when I was ill and they were absolutely brilliant and so patient when I was worried.

When you feel so horrendous it is hard to feel positive about things. Have you checked to see if you are eligible for any financial help?

I hope things turn around for you soon x

• I hope you feel better soon.

Employers usually get miffed with people taking just one or two days off frequently for minor ailments or sickies. They should NOT discriminate and discipline anyone for taking extended periods off for side effects from cancer treatment when it is outside of your control, as it is against the law for them to do so (equality act 2010) and they would not want to risk being taken to court over it.

Have a look at Macmillan's cancer and work advice.

All the best.

• Thanks for your comments