Swollen, hot painful breast with shoulder blade, breast and arm pain

• 4 replies
  • 6 subscribers

II had a lumpectomy 6 months ago and 3 sentinal nodes removed.  I have had 15 sessions of radiotherapy but over the last couple of days my breast has really swollen up red and is painful.  The pain runs down my arm and across my shoulder blade and my hand keeps getting pins and needles.  I am on Anistrazole.  I dont have any swelling in my arm just my breast. I have a new lump appeared that is 4cm length by 2cm, it may be a fatty lump Can anyone give me any advice please.  

• Hi KateJC welcome to the forum. It sounds like this could be the start of an infection so you need to be seen asap. I suggest that you call NHS 111 and get some advice as you may need anti-biotics. Whatever you decide to do this needs medical attention. 

gail

Community Champion Badge

• I also had breast surgery & 8 months after surgery / 6 months after Radiotherapy developed a hot, red, painful, lumpy, orange peel, sore & swollen breast.  If you have one, contact your breast nurse & they will advise what to do next, if no breast nurse make an appointment with your GP.  I saw my GP & she gave me antibiotics as she suspected an infection (as the breast was hot to touch, not just discoloured), but due to the other symptoms I also was referred back to the breast clinic.  After a consultation, breast exam, plus mammogram I was given the all clear.  The problems had been caused by infection in the breast & radiation fibrosis syndrome.  So, please try not to panic (as I did & easier said than done, I know), but you do need to seek out professional medical advice.

• Thank you so much. Im going to contact my breast cancer team in the morning. Xx