CT -v- mammogram & ultrasound

• 3 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi Wave 

Recent CT scan for another suspected cancer reported dermal thickening and a large seroma in breast  I’ve had no breast surgery or trauma  Referred to Breast Clinic  

Advised of CT circumstance & findings. Was examined & noted left breast more fullness but no external signs. Was told menopause could cause. Im on HRT.

Mammogram = told no change to c.15 mths ago.

Had very cursory / -5min ultrasound scan of left breast

Informed “nothing to worry about", all "ok" & “ just forget about the CT scan findings / don't worry about it” before being ushered out. At clinic for 1hr.

Concern IBC can be missed by mammograms & ultrasound? Thinking CT scan showing one issue could be dismissed by Breast Clinic, but not two issues?

Could CT scan really get it that wrong? Now questioning integrity of rest of that scan for other issue  

Cant see GP face to face for 3+ weeks  

Anyone else had findings on one type of scan but not on others? 

Thanks in advance

• Hello   I have just read your post and am so sorry that it's not been answered. (I can't answer it myself as I have a different cancer). However by me replying the post will be "bumped" back to the top of the forum and I hope, seen by other members of this Community who can give you the answers you are looking for.

Best wishes - Brian.

Community Champion badge

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Strength, Courage, Faith, Hope, Defiance, VICTORY.

I am a Macmillan volunteer.

• Insist on a biopsy. My IBC was missed too, very quick scan…‘just dense breast tissue’ breast clinic have now apologised and a review us taking placeRolling eyes 

Not enough professional knowledge around symptoms and signs of IBC. 
    I am stage3, have had 7 cycles of 8 if chemo. Surgery and radiotherapy to go. 
    Hope you get answers soon. 

• Hi JMD, I am really sorry that your ibc was missed. I had an idea that I had IBC and it wasn't picked up by either the mammogram or ultrasound as it was invasive lobular cancer which grows in sheets and you very rarely get lumps. Mine was mostly diagnosed with some redness skin thickening a really big difference in size an inverted nipple and orange peel skin. Have you noticed a difference in the size and shape with the chemo you have had? Good luck with the rest of your treatment. I am a 14 months on post treatment. Best wishes. Jxxx