My friend recently diagnosed. Feeling lost

• 1 reply
  • 6 subscribers

I hope you guys dont mind me posting, also hope you can help me.

My friend has been recently diagnosed with IBC, both breasts and into her lymph nodes. She has started chemo, she had her 1st one 3 weeks ago, due her next one this week. She ended up in hospital for a week and now awaits a PEP scan as they have found tumours on her spine. They are needing the scan to determine whether or not they are live or benign, of course we are praying the latter.

Has anyone had this happen? I am hoping it is just the chemo bringing out weaknesses in the body (as we know it does) she has been told that any part of her that is weak it will affect.

Her white blood count is very low she is having to have bone marrow before her chemo. Hopefully this is oging to help her.

Can anyone adviseme on how to help her, I am always there for her and she knows this, just want to do and say the right things. When she is well I am the eternal clown and we are in fits of laughter but when she is poorly I dont want to be too flippant, even though she knows me and expects it. To be fair I dont even know what I am asking, I could babble on all day, I am scared as we all are 

Thank you for hearing me out :) 

• Hi  

I am very sorry to read about your friends cancer diagnosis. I have not got the same type of cancer so I hope you don't mind me responding to you. Although my cancer is endometrial cancer (womb) my cancer history is similar. New tumours were found during my second surgery and I had an MRI to see if further surgery was possible and I also had a PET scan to see if there was further cancer spread. My cancer had gone to pelvic bone and had travelled to my lung. I was therefore incurable but treatable. You can read my full story on my profile by clicking on my username.

It is lovely that you want to help her but it sounds as though you already are. Just being there is support in itself. When I was poorly prior to treatment and during chemo, I was grateful of anything that made my life a bit easier, e.g at one stage it was very difficult to walk so just the simple things, like bringing me a glass of water was major help to me. It is kind actions that I remember. Be there to talk if she wants to and don't worry about saying the wrong thing, that can all be worked through.

I wish your friend all the best for her results and treatment. It sounds as though she has good friends and family support. Best regards.

A x

What is a Community Champion?

I am a Macmillan volunteer. 

Macmillan Support Helpline

0808 808 00 00 

7 days a week between 8am -8pm