Newbie, nervous, unsure

• 1 reply
  • 6 subscribers

Hello,

I am new here however I have worked in oncology briefly as a student nurse. I am 35 years old and have two children. With my second child I experienced mastitis when I was breastfeeding. This was 5 years ago. Since then I’ve had no breast issues and am actually due an uplift in January due to weightloss making them lower than I would like.

I was hoping I could join here and ask you all for some advice about whether I am being over-reactive or not.

Anyway! I noticed around 3 days ago it hurt me to lie on my right side at the side of my breast. I noticed that I had pain, hardness and swelling that I can only compare to having previous mastitis. (however I haven’t had fever, chills, etc that also presents with mastitis). There isn’t (currently) any redness, discharge, lump, rough skin etc. The only presentation at the moment is pain (constant throbbing on right side of right breast with occasional shooting pains through nipple of right breast), swelling and hardness. 

I managed to get an over the phone GP appointment and was prescribed  a course of flucloxacillin for one week. I am 2 days into the course but have noticed no improvement. (Also no worsening of symptoms though). I remember the relief being quite quick from mastitis previously. 

I have worked myself into a panic that I have potential IBC. Please could I have any advice or opinions from anybody? 

Thanks in advance for letting  me be part of the community.  

nell xx

• Hi   I'm just popping over from another group as I noticed you post hadn't received any replies as yet.  I haven't had breast cancer myself ( I was diagnosed with a different sort of cancer 3.5 years ago) but I did have a breast cancer  scare about 10 years ago. Fortunately, after a mammogram, ultra -sound scan and needle biopsy it turned out not to be breast cancer but the worry and fear before the results came through was awful. I hope by the time you read this your pain has improved. If not, please seek a face to face appointment. Early diagnosis is so important so I would say that even if people feel they may be overreacting, when it comes to your health, it's better to be over cautious.  This reply will 'bump' your post to the top so I hope someone with more experience of breast issues will see your post and reply. x