Hi all, I'm new here. My mum has IBC

• 2 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Hi all, 

My mum has been diagnosed with inflammatory breast cancer, and I'm just looking for some support as this happened so fast and I'm struggling to process it all. 

She's had breast cancer before in her 40s, but this is something else...it's brutal. The treatment has been a constant uphill battle and she got an infection which nearly killed her as her immune system was so compromised...I feel like emotionally I'm on a rollercoaster I can't get off. We've also been told there is likely a genetic component to these cancers, as there is a strong family history of ovarian and breast cancer. I'm trying to keep a brave face, but I'm terrified I'm going to get this as well.

I'm also worried about the prognosis for IBC... she had a good response to treatment but I've googled the stats for this, and they're bad. I'm scared it will come back and that next time it won't be stage 3, and I don't want her to have to keep going through this. I've almost lost her once to breast cancer already, and having it happen a second time and for it to be IBC just seems so cruel. 

If anyone has any positive stories or reassurance for me I'd really appreciate it - I'm struggling and really scared. 

• I’m so sorry to hear about your mum. 

My mum is currently due to have an operation to remove as much of the cancer as possible, hers has spread to a lot of organs. 

One thing I would say is do not Google!  It never helps.  You always find the worst case scenarios and what I have learned about cancer from my mum is that no two cancers are the same.  My knowledge of cancer was and still is to an extent quite basic but try and just take the information you get from the doctors direct and take things one day at a time. 

the what ifs make everything so much harder but the what ifs are also very often not the reality.

sending you and your mum love x

• Hi, I am new to forums but my mum was diagnosed with IBC they day before my 30th birthday this August, I googled and googled and made myself feel sick- prognosis was terrible and everything I read about iBC was bad. BUT the reason I am on these forums now- is to give some hope. I can't speak for the next 10 years but my mum has had a clinically complete response which means the cancer is gone. She was stage 3 with a 15cm mass! It can be ok and I hope it will be for you to. 

I just want someone somewhere googling to have some good news and know this could be you. Even if it is just a few more years.