Women Diagnosed with IBC - Other Symptoms

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 4 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Hi all,

I have been searching the internet high and low for other additional symptoms of IBC that only women who have been diagnosed could really answer.

We all know the typical & generic signs & symptoms - but what else that hasn’t been mentioned that would be good to know!

examples:

1. Did the redness and swelling come and go or was it always constant and eventually progressed?

2. Did it start out in one breast or did it spread to the other breast? Did it spread in one breast?

3. If progressed to the other breast, did the redness and inflammation match the other side (symmetrical irritation)?

4. Did heat seem to make the redness and inflammation better or worse (hot compresses, hot baths or showers, etc.)

5. Did cool compress help or make it worse?

6. Where was the redness and swelling on the breast(s) (where did it start and where did it end up)? How deep or light was the pink or red colour?

7. Was it always hot or warm to the touch? Or maybe only during flare-ups (if applicable)? Did your breast(s) ever go back to “looking normal” at times?

8. any noticeable lumps and where? What size, did they grow at all?

9. Is there anything else that sticks out in your mind now that might help women with what IBC may look like?

Any information ladies, may help women out there to put their minds at ease or to even take extra step to seek help ASAP. Even though all of our bodies are different and may react differently- this information is good to have because the internet is seriously lacking!

Any other questions you can think of that may help :)

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community

I can't add anything to your list, having not had IBC, but I wanted to thank you for taking the time to produce this list for other people to benefit from.

I don't know if you're currently going through treatment or you've finished so, when you have a minute, it would be useful if could pop something about your journey so far into your profile as it really helps others when answering or looking for someone with a similar diagnosis. It also means that you don't have to keep repeating yourself. To do this click on your username and then select 'Edit Profile'. You can amend it at any time and if you're not sure what to write you can take a look at mine by clicking on my username.

x

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• 1 - Redness only very slight, was triangular shape like my bra which made me question if it was my bra causing it on left breast.

2 - One breast only

7 - not hot or swollen to begin with.  It all started with the areola looking yellow/green at times, but it changed constantly, so I thought I was seeing things, looking back I think this started about six months ago.  Then the slight redness to my breast 2 months ago.  The outer rim of the areola felt thick at times, sometimes I would feel a ridge under my breast where the bra seem had been.  There was never anything consistent in the look or feel.  Breast started to look every so slightly larger about six weeks ago.  The doctors have observed changes during examination, it is that quick to change appearance.  I asked them to take photos and get them on the web if possible, as what I was seeing on the web was nothing like the way I was presenting which made me doubt myself.  I am taking photos on a regular basis so that the journey and changes can be seen to help every other woman out there who may have suspicions.  

8 - no lump to feel, although there is one deep inside under 1cm apparently

No pain to begin with, only had a few little twinges and that has settled, it might have been due to all the examinations I had as I had invited the student doctors as well as the head of departments to come in and check how my Inflammatory breast cancer was presenting as it was clearly not what they had seen in the past.  I don't want another doctor to miss this on any woman, it is far too aggressive to waste any time on getting a diagnosis.  The first GP I went to physically examined me and said there was nothing wrong, 2 weeks later I went to another GP with photos and he immediately sent me for a mammogram and ultrasound.  Mammograms don't normally pick this IBC up as it is not a lump.  If in doubt, check it out with GP, and if you still have a niggling doubt, go back again and again, you know your own body best.

SewScot in Oz
  • FormerMember
    FormerMember in reply to SewScot

Can I ask did you have any large freckles that appeared look bit like liver spots. Any tingling sensations in breasts. 

• Hi I’ve just read you’re post I have Ibc can I ask how things have been in the last 9 months hugs

julie