29 & Symptoms of IBC. Urgent referral.

• 6 replies
  • 4 subscribers

Hi, 

From January I have had a slight pain in my left breast when leaning on it or bending over, I have really irregular periods so I thought nothing of it really & ignored it. However two weeks ago I literally woke up in pain all in the side of my left breast, radiating into my back. I have also got dimpling of the skin which had recently come on. I went to the Drs this week and he agrees he can see “signs” of IBC & has sent me for an urgent referral. The pain is so bad I’ve been put on Neproxen. I have no rash, and my nipple is not affected. I’ve had occasional pains in my armpit however my GP cannot feel any swollen lymph nodes. Does anyone have any advice on managing the back pain? I was out for an hour yesterday and wanted to come home. I’m not coping at all, crying constantly. Im a single mother to a 4 year old and 11 year old the thought of leaving them (Even without an official diagnosis) Is destroying me. 

• Hi  and a very warm welcome to the online community which I hope you'll find is both an informative and supportive place to be.

The first thing I'd say is 'breathe'. Many referrals for possible breast cancer turn out not to be and, even if it is cancer, it's very treatable these days and you certainly don't need to be imagining leaving your children.

I didn't experience any back ache before I was diagnosed so the best thing for you to do would be to speak to your GP again. Any new or worsening symptoms should always be reported to your GP.

Do you have an appointment date through yet?

Community Champion Badge

"Never regret a day in your life, good days give you happiness, bad days give you experience"

• Have you had any updates yet?

• Not yet, I’ve got my first appointment with the breast clinic this coming Monday.

• Thank you for this. I’ve just had a call this afternoon for an appointment on Monday. 

• Have you had any updates?

• Hey, I had my appointment with the breast clinic yesterday. He’s ruled out IBC as he believes the symptoms would be more visible by now (there’s no rash at the moment & nipples aren't affected) However, he has found a large lump against my chest wall & has referred me for a mammogram in 2-3 weeks, and then it’ll be another 2-3 weeks for the results.