Hi everyone. Hl multicellular

• 2 replies
  • 6 subscribers

Hi everyone. My diagnose is Hodgkin's lymphoma multicellular variant stage 1a. I started my ABVD treatment 2 weeks ago received 1st dose. Probably tomorrow will receive second one. Waiting for phone call. Feel perfect so far. Will see after second dose. But have some concern. I have few lumps grape size, on my left chin. Which disappeared and came back several times. What had huge impact on getting diagnosed. As I been told cancers don't behave that way. And last time they disappeared was next day after my first chemo. And popped up again 4 days ago overnight. There was one common thing to all those disappears it was always after a steroids been taken. So first time I noticed something besides my jaw under ear. Was over 2 years ago. When I got bit sick. But it gone away with the cold. Then second time after half year fell to another seasonal infection. Which was the proper man's flu. Layed me down flat for 4 days. After over two weeks of coughing and swollen gland actually felt two on my left chin I went to GP. Got prescribed with some antibiotics and steroids. After few days was like newborn. Then hay season came. That time got me badly I told I will sneeze my brain out, and the glands swollen again. Ordinary antihistamines where not working so I went to GP to get something stronger. Got steroids which helped immediately within next day all gone, hay fever and glands got back to normal. But after few months the glands swollen again without the reason. Appointments for examinations started. Then at some point got cold again badly so again after few weeks of being sick got prescribed steroids this time they helped but not fully about the glands. Then all the scans biopsy diagnosis more scans. Treatment with steroids, bam glands back to normal. But as told after two weeks swollen again. Is here anyone who had similar gland behaviour?

Thanks.

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am sorry to see joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups.

I don’t have Hodgkin's Lymphoma but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well.

Going through treatments like ABVD is going to make your Lymphatic-System rather annoyed....... so lumps and bumps coming and going can happen..... well it happened to me and often not where may main mass was....... I asked my consultant and he assured me that it was the treatment doing it's thing.

I am now over 8 years out from my last treatment (See my storyand even now, when I get an infection I have lumps and bumps come and go...... post treatment our Lymphatic system tends to become more reactive.

The links I put up are all taken from the Lymphoma Action website. Lymphoma Action is the only UK Lymphoma Specific Charity who have lots of good reliable information about all things Lymphoma from what is Lymphoma. symptoms, types of Lymphoma treatments and many support platforms.

They run regular Support Platforms both for patients with a few groups specifically for Family and Carers...... I highly recommend these groups as there is nothing better than talking with other who have walked the journey.

They also have a great Lymphoma Action Buddy Service where both patients and carers/family can be linked up with someone who has walked the same treatment journey. They also have a Lymphoma helpline on 0808 808 5555 where the team will be on hand to give you some support - open every week day from 10 till 3.

Always around to help more or just to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi Mike.

Big thanks for your answer. You calmed me. You se I living in Ireland. And medical care in here is gently saying leaning. What you probably heard before. About the laboratory results several affairs and other healthcare struggles. Also previous experience with my resting in peace first wife. Made my trust very limited. Have that inside feeling that have to check everything and ask another opinion. Cancer forums in Ireland are very pure. Thankfully I'm able to communicate in several languages so I can look for advice all around the world. Already received answers from other forums and they said the same. But feedback from more developed countries suggested to mention that to my haematologist. About this because it's extremely rare. And more knowledge about those cases, might have positive impact on future treatments. The only thing is that medical stuff in here is so overwhelmed that they don't even want to hear about some none casual things. Of course a lot changed since 2011 when my 1st wife was battling the cancer. But still many things needs improving. Anyway there are another countries even within  European union. With much worse medical care.

One more time Thank you very much. And keep well as you are doing great work.