New HL diagnosis currently 7 months pregnant

• 7 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hi All, 

I was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma Cancer, I am currently 7 months pregnant with my 3rd child so I haven't been able to start any treatment yet, and couldn't have the PET scan so have had an MRI and blood tests instead.  I got an update Friday that I am at stage 2 which is good news for my baby, as they can leave her in a little longer.  They are working with my babies obstetrics team this week to decide together how long to leave her in there.  I have been living in the UK for 11 years from New Zealand with my husband, but thankfully my Mum is travelling over to help as I think chemo treatment and a newborn baby is going to be very difficult for my husband I to manage alongside our 3 year old and 18mth old.  

Did anyone have minimal symptoms with the treatment?  I look forward to chatting with you all across different discussions. 

• Hi  and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups. I don’t have Hodgkin's Lymphoma but I was diagnosed way back in 1999 at 43 with a rare, incurable but treatable type of Non Hodgkin's Lymphoma eventually reaching Stage 4a in late 2013 so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I do appreciate the challenges of this journey rather well...... although obviously not when being 7 months pregnant.

Over the years I have been helping out on the community we have had a number of expecting mum's come through our various blood cancer groups including this group and all went on to have healthy babies and also went of to have successful treatments.

As for your question "Did anyone have minimal symptoms with the treatment?"....... I assume you mean side effect?..... this will be very individual.

Have you been told the exact name of the treatment you are going to have?...... the thing is we could line up 10 even a 100 people with the exact same Lymphoma, in the same place and on the same treatment and we would get a massive difference as to what the journey is like.

I have a different Lymphoma and had a main chemo treatment that would not be used for HL. My treatment was rather full on having me in hospital for 5 nights/6 days on my 2 IV pumps 24/7 for over 120hrs for each of my 6 cycles and honestly, apart from developing Fatigue I had no real problems.

You may find this link Top Tips for the day of your Chemotherapy can help you prepare for treatment.

Lets look for some of the group members to pick up on your post. You can also look through the various posts (hit the main group name and scroll down) and as always you can hit reply and ask some questions and see if the member is looking in.

With 3 children in the house it's good that your mum is going to be with you and your husband to help out.

Always around to help more or just to chat

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks for the warm welcome Mike, and it's reassuring to know that other expectant Mums have come through and gone on with great success for them and baby.  

Your treatment sounds very intense and you have been living with this a long time, thank you so much for sharing.  I don't know what my treatment is yet.  I need to redo some tests once the baby arrives as currently I have some abnormal results but they are common in people with HL and also common in pregnancy so they are not sure what is driving it yet.  

I will check out that link you shared thank you.  

• Your body will be showing lots of things that are not normal so once your little one is here things will settle down and the tests will be more accurate.

You may want to also check out the Lymphoma Action website. Lymphoma Action is the only UK Lymphoma Specific Charity who have lots of good reliable information, videos..... basically all things Lymphoma....... pre, during and post treatment.

They run regular Support Platforms..... I highly recommend these groups as there is nothing better than talking with other who have walked the journey.

They also have a great Lymphoma Action Buddy Service where people can be linked up with someone who has walked the same or near the same treatment journey.

They also have a Lymphoma helpline on 0808 808 5555 where you can talk with someone and get support - open every week day from 10 till 3.

As a way of some encouragement you may want to listen to this link Kicking on - Robbie Fergusson.

I also volunteer for Lymphoma Action and back in Aug 2021 I did a Lymphoma Voices Interview with Robbie Fergusson who was diagnosed with Hodgkins Lymphoma back in 2013 at the age of 20. Robbie goes on to talk about his diagnosis, treatment, recovery and eventually getting back to playing professional Rugby Union, playing for the Scotland 7s International Team and representing Team GB in the Rugby 7s Team at the Tokyo 2020 Olympics.

Always around to chat or answer questions.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• I can’t imagine how you are feeling and want to send you lots of kindness and positivity. 
    I am currently on my third round of chemo and have had very little side effects other than the tiredness. I got a sore mouth during the first cycle but found that it was fruit juices and fresh fruit making it worse. Once I stopped eating/drinking them it stopped immediately. 
    I’ve had no sickness at all. 
    The tiredness is difficult. But I have two children (older than your’s … 11 and 7). I have managed to still do things with them between treatment days such as parks/picnics/short walks etc. Places where they can play and I can sit down if I am tired. I handnt expected to be able to do things like that when I first read all the side effects of chemotherapy. I can imagine how worried you are with a newborn on the way and much younger children though. My only advice would be accept as much support and help from family and friends as you can. I am not usually good at accepting help but realised I have to put myself first for once. You will need time to rest. 
    Do your 18 month and 3 year old go to a nursery or have people who will help look after them? You could plan half days so that you can try and spend some time with them but then also give yourself the time you need to relax. 
    I hope your treatment goes as well as mine has without all the side effects and hope hearing a positive experience helps you to stay positive at this scary time. I found the waiting for treatment to start and the unknown of it all the hardest bit. I will be thinking of you. 

• Oh thank you so much for sharing your experience, that most definitely has helped me hearing a positive experience.  I was really worried I was going to be able to do very little with my newborn, but I think I might be able to be much more involved than I thought.  

I usually eat a lot of fresh fruit so note taken as well if I get a sore mouth to see if pulling that back helps.  

My other two little ones are in nursery full time thankfully, so we have decided to keep it that way to help ensure we can get through and also I think they will have more fun there than with me and the newborn if I'm sick.  I really hope that I can manage to get away with your level of side effects that is what I'm really hoping for.  

I hope your treatment really helps you and that you are through it all soon, as your children are older they must understand a lot more about what is going on which I'm sure brings it's own level of issues.  

• My children have been my motivation through it all… I have tried to keep things as normal as possible for them which has helped me to be strong. But it’s a lot to take in and deal with so I have my down moments too. Don’t be hard on yourself if you do too. 
    I suppose in terms of side effects each person is different and could have the same treatment and react totally differently. But at least you now know that it is possible to get through it with minimal side effects. 
    The docs have said because I am young (which at 41 is a compliment!!) and generally fit and healthy it has probably helped. 
    I’ve tried to be really sensible about eating healthy… chemo lowers your blood cells and immunity. So I’ve been trying to have plenty protein to boost white blood cells and greens etc for red bloods cells/iron. I found tinned fruit and custard didn’t bother my mouth like the fresh fruit. I have just drank water or watered down flavoured water. And avoided spicy foods. Basically just trying to look after myself. It’ll be hard with a newborn but just try and look after yourself too. Definitely nap when they nap!! 
    Really hope to hear from you and good news about your new born baby. 

• While I wait for baby I have been eating really healthy, so I hope to continue that as best I can while managing a newborn.  My Mum thankfully is coming from New Zealand to stay awhile so at least for a month or two I will get on great in terms of that.