Neutropenic after first round of ABVD for HL

• 1 reply
  • 7 subscribers

Evening. I’ve had my first round of chemo (Day 1 and Day 15) for Hodgkins Lymphoma (Stage 2) and am currently in hospital as I was neutropenic and developed a temperature of 38.4 on Sunday night. I was due to start my next round of chemo tomorrow but this has been postponed. Currently having to have IV antibiotics for 5 days. I am also having G-CSF injections to increase my white blood cells production. I had 3 days of injections after my last treatment on my consultant’s recommendations. I am not sure if I had an infection as my blood cultures results seem okay but to be safe the doctors are giving me the full 5 days in hospital to administer the antibiotics. I’ve got 5 more rounds of chemo to go so I’m hoping this is just a blip. My consultant says he will increase my G-CSF to 5 injections after each treatment. The injectons seem to be working as my Neutrophils have gone from 0.3 to 2.3. I have been careful with my diet but will definitely keep an eye on what I eat going forward. Are there any foods I can eat to boost my immunity? Is the long term use of G-CSF injections okay? I really don’t want to end up back in hospital and keep delaying my chemo. Thank all

• Hi again  sorry to hear about your journey so far. The body takes a big hit in the dust treatment - like a shock to the system but many find that they get in better the next time. There is not much you can do to help - just a balanced healthy diet of food, red meat, well cooked offal, lots if well cooked veg…… but at the same time you have to stick to an expectant mum’s diet,

Neutropenia can be scary - I have had Neutropenic Sepsis twice……. and that was after my treatments were finished….. both times had me in hospital for a week on IV antibiotics….. and they never did find out the cause.

As for the G-CSF injections…….. I was self injection once a day for about 4 more this afternoon my second Stem Cell Transplant so based on my experience it was ok to be on them long term.

Wishing you a quick recovery.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge