Hello from a Mum !

• 5 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hello. I am a mum of a 29 year old who was diagnosed last week with HL. She has already received 1 chemo and is now home thank goodness. She has a 16 month old so any advice would be gratefully received on managing expectations. She is thankfully living with us, her family along with her partner and son. I’m trying not to fuss but.....!!!! Thank you 

• Hi  and welcome to the group. There are a few mum’s with children and mum’s of patients  in the group so let’s look for them to pick up on your post.

I have a rare incurable Non Hodgkin’s Lymphoma diagnosed way back in 1999 and although I have been through a lot of treatment I am still around doing great.

The main advise is take each day as it comes, she must not over do things but with a 16 month in the house that could be impossible, I was exhausted when the granddaughters came to visit.

These are some useful links for you to have a look at:

Nausea, remember not to suffer in silence when it comes to nausea there are lots of tools available - but your team need to know how you are getting on.

Fatigue may well build up over time so take each day as it comes but at the same time keep some activity going as this does actually help overcome some of the fatigue.

During my 6 cycles of R-EPOCH I was on my chemo for 120 hrs 24/7 at a time and the main issue I had was fatigue but my nurse team told me to keep active so I walked the ward corridors with my chemo stand after every meal and actually did a few miles a day.

Avoiding Infections obviously is very important but you will totally get this during these challenging times.

I would also highlight the importance of drinking lots of water as this will flush out all the toxins released by the chemo and protects your kidneys.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi and a second welcome HL is often treated with ABVD and has been for many years now and it is a very effective treatment, the majority go on to remission and I assume that's what you were seeking when you ask about advice on managing expectations?

Treatment can be tough and the effects cumulative after 2 cycles its likely she will have a scan to check treatment is working so see how that goes and it will give an indication if everything is heading in the right direction. 

The other positive thing to share is a number of women have completed treatment and gone on to successfully conceive if that is something she may be concerned about.

Hopefully one of the mums will be along to share their experiences and how they managed not to over fuss, hard as it is.

John 

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • I would also highlight Lymphoma Action, a small UK Lymphoma Specific Charity who have lots of information, videos and run regular regional online Lymphoma Zoom support groups including one for younger patients and also  for carers supporting family through their treatments.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks so much for replying so swiftly. I appreciate the information greatly. 

1. Thanks so much John. Your reply and information is very much appreciated.