Dealing with my sister's diagnosis of Hodgkin's Lymphoma

FormerMember
FormerMember
  • 3 replies
  • 8 subscribers

Hello, recently my sister has been diagnosed with Stage 4 Hodgkin's Lymphoma. I thought I was dealing well with it at the beginning but as time has progressed and she has been going to loads of appointments and now started 14 rounds of chemotherapy, I'm finding it difficult to not feel really emotional. I'm feeling very sad, helpless, useless and petrified she won't make it through. Has anyone got any advice on how I can deal with my emotions, I'm only 18, so I feel as if I shouldn't be the one acting upset and taking some of the attention away from my sister? I would be really grateful if anyone could reply and please help me with some tips or point me in the right direction to get some help. I'm nervous to ask for help from a therapist or councillor yet as I want to see if I am able to deal with my emotions by myself and not take away a resource that someone may need more than myself. Thank you! 

• FormerMember
    FormerMember

Hello

You have every right to be feeling emotional and to be experiencing a range of feelings - you aren’t being selfish at all or attention seeking and there is no shame in speaking to a professional regarding your feelings. Most cancer charity websites (CLIC Sargent for example) have some information pages for family members/friends of those going through cancer. Is there a close friend you have that you could tell how you feel? Even writing your emotions down onto paper/journaling can really help.

As someone who has recently finished treatment for Stage 4 HL - as cliche as it sounds - try to stay positive! Although you may feel helpless as the situation is out of your hands, just being there for her and supporting her is enough! Sending lots of positivity, light and strength to you and your sister. There is light at the end of the tunnel! Slight smile

• Hi, as  says, you have every right to feel emotional and upset yourself. My daughter was diagnosed with stage 2 HL last year and I felt just as guilty for feeling emotional myself. But please please know that it is normal and acceptable. Whilst I can’t begin to imagine what my daughter went through, being in the position of feeling utterly useless and so so scared of what she had to go through is still a valid emotion. Please don’t be scared of speaking to a counsellor or support worker - they are there for you as much as for your sister. My daughter’s key worker and Clic Sargent support worker have been amazing with helping me deal with my anxiety and worries. This is such a scary time for all family and friends so please don’t think you’re the only one going through this. My dm’s are always open if you want to chat privately xx

• Hi,

I have recently been diagnosed with stage 4b HL too, and have been worried about the toll it’s taken in my family. I think what has kept me reassured is that they have their own support networks. For example, my older brother (he’s 10 years older than you) has a lot of fantastic friends who he is relying on heavily during this time. 

Have you got anybody who you can be honest with and open up to? It’s a very difficult time and I think trying to “spread the burden” by letting others help you might be a good shout.