Lightening does strike twice

• 4 replies
  • 9 subscribers

Long before the internet and the online support available now, my youngest son was diagnosed with leukemia, early 90's a long battle ensued with a brief period of remission then back to treatment after a relapse. Thanks to the fabulous staff at Birmingham Children's Hospital my son is now 34 and living a full life. Fast forward to now, his older brother at the age of 37 has just been diagnosed with stage 3B Hodgkin's Lymphoma. Absolutely dreading and petrified knowing what we've been through and what's to come.

• Hi sorry to read you are going through this again as a parent, HL responds very well to treatment and many go on to complete remission, the treatment is ABVD and has been in use now for many years. Also things have improved since the 90's and side effects are managed much better. Any questions just ask the are a few parents who post and who understand how you are feeling.

John 

we all know this is a roller coaster ride, where we ride blind, never knowing where the highs and lows are
  • Thanks for the reply John,  I'm sure the treatment has come on leaps and bounds since the 90's, he starts his chemotherapy on Thursday which during the pandemic I'm surprised but thankful it's happening quick. No doubt I'll have a few questions once we start.

Regards 

• Hello, 

sorry to be late seeing this; but as the Mum of a lass who was diagnosed in 2004, yes, treatments for HL have come a long way even from then, there are a lot about! (Story on my profile) 

Side effects really can be managed really well too, if one medication doesn’t help lots then ask the team as another will surely be available.

Drinking water will help flush through the dying cancer cells and also help against a well known problem with ABVD (tmi coming here; constipation, don’t ignore!) 

Sending hugs xxx

Moomy

• Thanks for the reply Moomy x