Hodgkins Lymphoma stage 3

• 1 reply
  • 6 subscribers

Hi all, 

I’ve read all the information here and taken a lot of comfort in knowing I’m not alone with what feels like a very rare cancer. 

I’m a 32 year old female with a husband and a beautiful 7 month old son. I’ve recently been diagnosed with Hodgkin’s lymphoma and will commence escBEACOPP Dac treatment next week. It’s been a month of scans and blood tests and multiple biopsies so I’m raring to go with the chemo next week. 

I’m fortunate enough to have the NHS caring for me but I sadly didn’t qualify for egg preservation (as I already have one child) which was a bad blow. We don’t have the money to do this privately and I couldn’t face the prospect of me not making it through treatment only to leave my family without me AND in debt. I’m reassuring myself that it’s a small price to pay in exchange for getting into remission and we’ll extend my family another way when the time comes. 

I’ve found it difficult to find people’s experiences with escBEACOPP Dac as it appears that ABVD has been given a lot more often historically and BEACOPP is a much newer drug. My health permitting I’ll try to add to this link as I go on how I found the treatment each step of the way. 

chemo next week. 

• Good morning  and a warm welcome to this corner of the community, it’s good that you have found all the posts helpful….. as you have had a good read you will know that I don’t have Hodgkin's Lymphoma but have been on my rare, incurable NHL journey for over 24 years….. so I do appreciate the road you are on well.

Sorry to hear that you didn’t qualify for egg preservation but please do not give up hope of having another little one….. over the years I have been volunteering on this community and with Lymphoma Action I have talked with many women who were in the exact same position as you….  as few also going through Stem Cell Trabsplsnt and they had children post treatments.

HL is seen as being on the rare-ish side….. but not as rare as my 7 in a million type of Low-grade non-Hodgkin lymphoma (CTCL)……. the most important thing to keep in mind that on the whole the initial aim of the treatments you will have is to cure…… my type of NHL is incurable…… but that has not stopped me living a great life, yes I had some full on treatments but I am 8.5 years out from my last treatment, turned 68 last Nov and doing great.

The choice of drug regimes, in your case ABVD or secBEACOPP can be confusing but this is when you trust your team as they know your HL best…… and you also look for other people’s experiences so let’s see who is still looking into the group.

It’s important to realise that a lot of people, once they have completed their treatment move away from these groups and get on with life.

You will find this link helpful as you get ready for treatment.. 

Top Tips for the day of your Chemotherapy

You will see that I often mention Lymphoma Action.

Lymphoma Action is the only UK Lymphoma Specific Charity who have lots of good reliable information, videos..... basically all things Lymphoma....... pre, during and post treatment….. I am also volunteer for LA.

LA run regular Support Platforms..... I highly recommend these groups as there is nothing better than ‘talking’ with others who have walked the journey……. and you will find a much larger group of active people.

They also have a great Lymphoma Action Buddy Service where people can be linked up with someone who has walked the same treatment journey.

They also have a Lymphoma helpline on 0808 808 5555 where you can talk with someone and get support - open every week day from 10 till 3.

Always around to chat and support as best as I can ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge