Interim Pet Scan

• 1 reply
  • 6 subscribers

hello, 

I was diagnosed with stage 2 HL and have just completed my interim PET SCAN and chemo 5. I was delighted that my pet scan results showed a complete response to treatment! The only thing is my consultant called a few hours later and said a small area under my boob lit up slightly and she wanted me to get an ultrasound to be extra safe. She reassured me that it isn’t anything to worry about and that it could be a range of things such as chemo, hormones, etc and that sometimes random places light up. It’s just got me worrying now it is breast cancer! It didn’t light up on my first pet scan 2 months ago?! Sorry to moan, I’m absolutely delighted to hear my treatment is working it’s just been dampened now by the stress of this ultrasound. Feeling incredibly anxious again. Like it never stops! any advice? Has anyone else had a similar thing happen?

thank you!

• Hi again .... I can totally understand your concerns. I have been on my journey with a rare type of NHL for over 23 years and I lost count of the times following regular scans that 'something' showed up on a scan......... I actually found it very reassuring that my consultant was 'on this' and not just caring for my NHL but looking after my whole person.

Most of the time there was nothing to worry about but 13 years into my journey a scan did find 'something' in my lung that turned out to be asbestosis..... but this is stable.

Immediately after my final treatments a few areas in my neck lit up on a scan....... again these were not a problem as these were post treatment fatty lumps and scar tissue where my mass had been. 

She reassured me that it isn’t anything to worry about and that it could be a range of things such as chemo, hormones, etc and that sometimes random places light up

I would trust in your consultants judgment, they know what they are doing and what to look for - but best be safe and not sorry ((hugs))

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge