Reducing radiation side effects on neck

• 3 replies
  • 6 subscribers

Hello, my partner suffers from recurring late-stage HL and, as part of palliative care, has just started radiation therapy on, among others, a lump on her neck. Today was her second treatment, with 18 more to come in the next four weeks. She is wondering if there is anything she can do to address any upcoming side effects. This might include, stretching, gels or creams, or specific food (or the avoidance of some, such as vitamin C) or any other recommendation. Any advice would be most welcome, thank you very much indeed!

Tristram

• Hi Tristram and a warm welcome to this corner of the Community although I am always sorry to see folks joining us. I am Mike and I help out around our various Lymphoma groups. 

I don’t have HL but I was diagnosed back in 1999 with a rare, incurable type of NHL Stage 4a so although my Lymphoma ‘type’ is different I appreciate the challenges of this journey well.

Sorry to hear about your partner, this is a hard time for you all. I had a totally of 45 radiotherapy zaps. 5 to a tumour above my right eye, 10 to every Lymph-node in my body and 30 hovering every area of my body.

The 10 to my Lymph-nodes covered all my neck both sides and I had no problems with these. Some dry skin that I was given moisturiser for and some fatigue but this was more to do with the regular visits to the unit every day.

I was eating a normal diet and only taking the vitamins that were recommended by my team. Simple stretching exercises will help, but nose so the fatigue. The less she dies the more fatigued she will get.

This link from the Lymphoma Action website Radiotherapy will explain the subject more.

Always around to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Thank you very much for your kind feedback, Mike, and for pointing me to the additional resources. I am moved by your story and I do hope things look much brighter for you these days! Best, Tristram

• I am very well Tristram. I am sorry to hear that your partners condition had developed in such a way that treatments are now seen as palliative, this must be a stressful and challenging time for you all.

Back in 2014 I started my final available treatment option - Allo (donor) Stem Cell Transplant going on to have a second Allo SCT in 2015 knowing that if this did not work the next stage would be palliative.

Thankfully Stem Cell Transplant worked……. and coming up to 7 years on there have been some new treatments come on line. My type of NHL is incurable so there is always a further chance os relapse so there may be some hope of it does relapse.

It’s been a while since we have had a group member in the same position as your partner. 

There are many practical and emotional challenges supporting someone during a time like this so you may also benefit from joining our general Supporting someone with incurable cancer group where you will connect with others in the same position.

Macmillan have many support platforms so do check out the Macmillan Support Line is open 8am-8pm (timings may differ across services) 7 days a week on 0808 808 00 00 or via Webchat and Email too.

These services provide cancer information, practical information, emotional support, benefits/financial guidance or just a listening ear. We also have our Ask an Expert section but do allow a few working days for a reply.

All the very best.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge