ABVD Chemo Heartburn help

• 4 replies
  • 7 subscribers

Hello everyone

I am 37. Had my first cycle of AVBD last Friday.

I reacted to the chemo and have had all sorts of side effects.

ive basically been in bed for a week now.

I’m moved through a few things but I’m stuck on heartburn.

I have a really painful burning ball in my chest.

if I could just beat the heartburn I would be back on my feet.

could anyone suggest any action I could take / products I could use to relieve the heartburn?

thanks so much :)

• Hi  and welcome to this corner of the community, I am Mike and I help out around our blood cancer groups, I gave a different type of Lymphoma but can identify with the Heartburn.

So you will have some meds from your team and and you are taking them exactly as prescribed?…… if these are it””not doing the job call this in and talk it through with your cancer nurse as there are lots of other meds that can try.

I found Peptac Heartburn Liquid worked for me along with drinking a minimum of 2 litres of water a day every day as this will help….. but it is also your main protection tool for your kidneys……. and bizarrely my consultant told me to put two bricks under the top end feet of my bed - worked a treat.

You need to try and keep some simple activity going, laying in bed for longer periods of time will actually make your post treatment recovery long and hard as your muscle is slowly wasting away all the time you are inactive,….. it’s hard - I have been there but it is very important.

Always around to chat.

Mike (Thehighlander)

It always seems impossible until its done - Nelson Mandela

Community Champion Badge

• Hi _jamie_. I too reacted badly to my 1st ABVD when I had high temperature, raised heart rate, severe body rigors and needed an oxygen mask (all some kind fit I was told). They gave me paracetamol, hydrocortisone & antihistamine after which seemed to help, but I was still kept in overnight for observations. I am now given these as premeds before each session of chemo, and no longer and this helps. After each session I'm given meds to take home. These include 3 days of steroids, omeprazole (to protect the stomach lining), domperidone for nausea. All really help, but agree that drinkind plenty of fluids help to flush any toxins out the kidneys. I also had bad heartburn occassionally and found that a simple Rennie tablet helped.Again, best to speak with your consultant on these matters. I also have 1 or 2 milkshake supplement drinks that can calm any acid reflux, and help with my nausea so I can eat properly and maintain my weight

I've now just had my 2nd cycle and all seems fine so far. I have my PET scan next week though to see if the ABVD is doing its job! They have however dropped the bleomycin from the mix as this was causing difficulty in breathing (I also have mild asthma!!)

Really hope you get this sorted, and prey the road ahead from now on gets better. Stick with it and my best wishes

• Mike, thanks so much for your reply I appreciate it. Sorry I don’t have the energy to write long response, things are a struggle at the minute.

Jamie

• Clive, Also thanks so much for your reply I appreciate it. Sorry I don’t have the energy to write long response, things are a struggle at the minute.

Jamie