Free flap scapula left mandible jaw reconstruction

• 9 replies
  • 38 subscribers

Hi all just a quick update. Home now after 18 days in hospital for my jaw surgery.  Had to be done as sustain damage osteoradionecrosis from previous radiotherapy.  Operation was complicated due to surgery site and previous radiation. I must say it's tough but it had to be done otherwise the osteoradionecrosis would have just progressed.  Currently on NG tube but hoping in two to three weeks soft food diet introduced. I have some gripes about the care in hospital related to consistent wound dressing but overall good care. I had bad infection in my neck and therefore had to have another operation and drain fitted in my neck to drain off infection.  I have district nurses out packing and dressing the wound on my face and discharge is becoming less which is a good sign. A few tears along the way but getting through it slowly but surely.  Trouble is with me I am so inpatient but things like this teaches you the time takes time and your forced to accept that. Can't wait for my first soup, some proper food but NG is giving me the calories I need to heal. Thanks to everyone who takes time to read.

• Hi Shaun

Thank heavens you are the right side of this surgery. I have thought of your journey often. 

So what soup would you like?Grinning

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
    1. Thanks Dani. I like an home made roasted sweet pepper, sweet patatoes, garlic, onions and tomato.  Usually roast it all first the blitz in food processor. Good for adding other ingredients to make a nice pasta sauce too.
  • Hi Shaun was thinking if you on yesterdays bike ride. I was counting how long you had been in. Glad you’re out and yes the  n g tube will give you the calories you need to heal. 
    sending hugs from sunny Spain and everything x for you. Will do an extra pedal for you next ride. 
    Enjoy your soup when we’re home I have home made soup mist lunch times. 

hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Thanks Hazel, enjoy the cycling in the sun. I might even be in a good place to go in may 2025 but not planning too far ahead at the moment x

• Wow, Shaun you have been through the mill! Glad you have come through to the other side now and I wish you the very best in healing. Thinking of you. x

• Hi Shaun, so pleased to hear you are home and job done but getting an infection on top of surgery was a bummer, can imagine how very unpleasant that must have been!  All best wishes to you now for recovery and back enjoying your soup.

June x

• Hi Cazzita. Yes it's a tough journey we have to endure. Not just individually but for family and friends.  Just got to go with the flow of the healing hands of time. X

• Thank you country lass. To be honest I felt that ill with the infection I was eager to get in theatre for surgery.  Can't stop thinking of food at the moment and yes soup is going to be enjoyed. Especially now the winter is approaching. 

Thanks Shaun x

• Sounds Yummy...I do something similar but never thought of sweet potato

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge