Post Treatment CT Results

• 1 reply
  • 36 subscribers

Today was the day I'd been looking forward to (and dreading in equal measure !) with the results of my CT scan.

On the whole it went really well. The oncologist is delighted with how my body has responded to the treatment. She talked me through the before and after scans, showing me where the cancer was on my tonsil and neck. Happy to say the cancer is now completely away from my tonsil. However, whilst it's nearly away it's still there in my neck. She did say she wasn't overly surprised by this because the neck tumour was fairly large at 4.5cm.

Upshot is I've been referred for a PET scan to see if those cells are still active. Her feeling is that they are not. If they are then she talked about an operation to remove some neck glands. However, she seems really confident that the scan should show no further action will be required and that the radiation in me will still continue to work.

Only thing that's really disappointed me is they have insisted I keep the RIG in until I get a clear PET scan. Don't get me wrong I can totally understand why, as it's not a great operation to put them in. Had just hoped with going on our first holiday for 5 years in a couple of weeks that was one piece of baggage I wouldn't need to carry with me.

Overall happy, perhaps a bit down. But certainly not out ! :)