Update my cancer journey

• 9 replies
  • 39 subscribers

Just to update my situation after my first post. I had various scans after diagnosed with tongue cancer  and they came back all clear but since I had lots of dental treatment, MRI scan around my mouth was not very clear. I am due to have oral Ultrasound next Monday. I was told that my tongue cancer is stage 1. Depends on the ultrasound result, we will decide whether to just have excision of the area or excision plus remove some of lympha nodes. If I don't need to remove the lympha nodes, then I was told to have scan on my neck every 3 months. I am trying not to think about what is going to happen but found very difficult to cope. I am so so scared.

Takako aka Ultraman 

• Hi Takako

Being scared is a big part of the cancer journey for all of us....if you are on 3 monthly reviews that is better than more intense treatments which can be harsh.

Try to stay away from Google as it can be outdated and distressing.

Keep the forum updated with your progress.

Peter 

• Hi again  

Being scared is normal. It’s not surprising when faced with the reality of our mortality especially as we imagine all sorts of nasty things outside our control. 
    I know it’s hard but you have to put some trust in your team and particularly yourself. 
    It looks like your cancer is caught early, you are avoiding RT which is a blessing and you might likely be put on watch and wait. 
    Such frequent reviews are bound to be hugely stressful. 
    Macmillan offer free counselling sessions if you feel that might help. 
    For now you are second guessing what might happen. You don’t know till you know so fingers crossed you can get away with as little intervention as you can. 
    These oncologists do this every day and they are good at it.  They cure people every day too

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Peter

Thank you very much for your comments. I was frantically searching in Google but will listen to your advice. It makes me more nervous and anxious.

Thank you very much for your support. It is reassuring to know that I can talk to somebody openly.

Takako

• Hi Dani

Thank you very much for your comments. Yes, I will try not second guessing for what's coming.

I am so glad that I joined this community.  It is hugely helping me to cope with my journey.

Takako

• Hi Takako

Glad they have caught it early.  This period of waiting is difficult as your mind runs riot.  As has already been said - stay off Google.  Most of our head and neck cancers have a very high cure rate, although the treatment and recovery can be tough.  Recovery from surgery initially can be quite quick, but just like with radiotherapy it turns out to be a bit of a marathon to get to the final level of recovery.  If they want to do a dissection to remove the lymph nodes it sounds far worse than it actually is for most of us.  Have a look at my profile and story.  Hopefully it will give you some hope that all this is possible to get through and have a good life afterwards.  

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi Peter

Thank you very much for your comments.  I just read what you we t through and wow, it sounds really tough road for the recovery but well done on completing the treatment.  I hope I will get to the stage where I can support others, not just consumed by own fear.

Takako

• Hi the waiting’s the worst part keep off sr google keep busy   Good that you’re being monitored and avoiding radiotherapy 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help

• Hi there

I had tongue cancer surgery in January and did not need lymph nodes removed. I am having ultrasound scans every 3 months, got my 2nd one next week.

I found it hard not to fear the worst but to try and just take things as they came. As it happened I was fortunate that it was not "the worst".

• Hi Teee7

It is good to hear that you didn't need to remove lymph nodes. I was told that they normally give a choice of removing them but my doctor suggested not to.  I am having oral ultrasound tomorrow and depends on the outcome, I will decide what to do.

Thank you very much for your message.

Takako aka Ultraman