Throat stretching/ oesophageal dilation

• 6 replies
  • 37 subscribers

Hi

Has anyone any experience of having their throat dilated post treatment please?

I was referred from ENT to gastro and had a flexible endoscopy with my throat stretched with a balloon from a 'tight stricture' to 9mm under sedation.

They referred me back to ENT and I've been offered a rigid oesophagoscopy under general anesthesia to take me up to around 25mm in one go. 

I have been told that scar tissue could form and I could end up worse than when I started although the procedure does have a good success rate.

I still have taste issues and dry mouth from chemo radiation which wouldn't be improved with the dilation. 

I appreciate any advice. I've updated my profile with the details of my journey so far

Thanks

• Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Dani, the links are really helpful. Liz x

• Hi, I was treated for base of tongue cancer over 8 years ago. The treatment shrank my oesophagus to the extent that I could not eat or drink. After a year they managed my first dilatation and I have had several since. I can now at least drink but eating is out of the question. You sound as though you are in a much better position than I am/was. The dilatations are no problem at all but mine have a tendency to shrink which is why I have had more than one. If your stricture is in the right kind of place they may be able to put a stent in which is what I think you are talking about. I know someone who has had one and he is eating and drinking although not quite normally. My case is quite bad but yours sounds much better. I have never had an issue with treatment and if I could have a stent I would. I wish you well and hope it all goes well.

best wishes.

clive

• Hi Clive. We haven’t seen you for a couple of years and it’s sad to see you still can’t eat. Thank you for popping on to help  

How are  you in yourself? 
    One of our community champs  is solely peg fed but I think he can still have the odd beer. Hopefully he’ll be along to say hello 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks for your reply Clive. I appreciate you sharing your experience with me. I've decided not to rush into making any decision. As you say, I am managing well with a soft diet and there is the risk of the dilations shrinking back. All the best. Liz 

• Good evening Clive, its sounds as if you are the same as me with your swallowing, although mine is due to other issues as my esophagus is still good, thankfully i can still swallow liquids which is a massive bonus, i use a PEG for feeding as the food supplements are too thick for me to swallow. I still manage a couple of real ales or Guinness a week as a treat although it takes a lot longer to drink it, not that I'm complaining. Wishing you all the best, lovely to hear from you, take care.

Chris 

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge