Scaumous cell carcinoma hpv 16 left tonsil and both lymph nodes. In 2022 had 33 proton therapy 70 grays and 2 x cisplatin.

• 19 replies
  • 30 subscribers
  1. Hi folks not been on for a while. Just and update and advice please. Unfortunately I have developed osteoradionecrosis with pathological fracture of the left mandible. In pain and lots of swelling. Spoke to surgeon yesterday and he mentioned a free flap fibula operation after the infection clears. To be honest after going through so much I feel distressed and daunted.  Surgeon mentioned its a complex operation and he will need to use the healthy side of my neck to vasculise the left side. Has anyone been in a simular situation for advice please? I know it might sound daft but I was I keen cyclist and have had to give this up due to my fractured jaw and am upset I won't be able to ride again. It would be really helpful to have advice from others. Thanks folks.
  • Patel is at Guys and Paleri at The Marsden

They are both NHS. Get your oncologist to intervene with a referral letter and phone the departments yourself saying you have a referral. Remember you have the right to be seen at any nhs hospital if you live in England and they have space. 
    Sorry about your CNS. It’s something that’s not in her remit but she should at least pass this on to your oncologist.

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Shaun Vinod Patel us NHs Guys and St  Thomas London . Vin Paleri is The Royal marsden   Can’t believe the Macmillan nurses haven’t heard of them Vin Paleri is on to at the minute super surgeon programme 

Will send details

if you scroll down the link there’s info from royaL marsden 

https://www.royalmarsden.nhs.uk/our-consultants-units-and-wards/consultant-directory/professor-vinidh-paleri

Hazel

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Cheers Dani. That's a good point to request a telephone call with my oncologist in Leeds then I can discuss things. Hoping this pain, swelling from jaw goes down soon. It's hard coordinating things at times like this. Thanks.

• That's a good point to request a telephone call with my oncologist in Leeds then I can discuss things.

Consultants are used to referring to others for second opinions. Go for it. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Hazel. That's reassuring and I think I will go with him. Mr Ho has already explained the process and I think when this infection clears we will proceed with surgery. Got 5 weeks until appointment and it's a challenge eating and I am reluctant to cycle in case I fall off, although I am tempted as cycling is a passion of mine. I wander if there is anyone who has been in my situation who can share their experience pre and post treatment for free flap fibula surgery?

• Hi Shaun how often have you fallen off beforec?  would be my thinking next thing there’s full face helmets you can wear. All life has a risk weigh up the risk. I am off to Spain tomorrow will be too hot to do much but will have  a ride for you. Only a pootle. 
    Keep in touch 

hugs H 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Hazel that's a good point. It's all too easy to let things rule your life. I think group riding is safer. I met one of my challenges last week of riding a century ride. 2 years ago I could hardly balance on a bike due to the effects of treatment. Last Sunday I did 130 mile in 7.5 hours. I  guess what I am trying to say which may be helpful for others is that time us a great healer and keeping hope even when despairing can get you through. Happy riding in spain Hazel. Evaguden x

• Hi Shaun. Continue living , my motto is one life just live  it,, well done on 130 Mile my records 100 km in a day literally a day lol well sett off around 0900 back for 1800  that includes coffee and lunch stops. I enjoy what we do and long may it continue for both of us . Yes group  rides or at least with one or two others. Will do in meantime just catching up with ( the real experts TDF hope Cav manages one more win. 
    Will do a sunny ride for you.

Hugs Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

• Je vous leve mon  chapeau.