Feeding tube

• 30 replies
  • 44 subscribers

Hi after having lymph nodes removed in right armpit, I will be having dressing changed on Friday then it will be another 2 weeks for meeting with breast care consultant with results. I will then hopefully start treatment on tumour on my tongue I have been told radiotherapy and chemotherapy.The waiting is just one of those things I know but in that time you start thinking and worrying .I am asking for help regarding feeding tubes. Things like do you always have one when having radiotherapy on your throat and mouth,do they put one in always before radiotherapy or do they wait. If anyone has any information on this I would be very greatfull .I have read a little about it but its bit text book and it doesn't answer my questions.

• Hi 

Good luck with the radiotherapy....hopefully you will not require the PEG to be used for nutrition...rotating the PEG can be a bit iffy.

Peter

• Thank you got shown how to stop it embedding so I will do that tonight but it has to be done. Thanks again for replying very much appreciated for everyone's support.

• Turning the peg and after a month having to move it in and out grossed me out too. I still don’t like doing it. Waiting to have mine removed.  Three weeks and waiting. 

• I keep putting it off, I don't have to do it tonight but  I have to at some time before Tuesday so I will grin and bare it tonight.probary after the football.

• You will get used to it.  I found "advance and rotate" quite therapeutic as part of my daily routine in the shower.  They did not let me do the "ritual" for 2 weeks after fitting to allow the wound to heal. 

Once I even tried to see how far in the tube would go but could not reach a point where it stopped moving inwards Rofl

When they took it out I found there was a large gap in my shower routine.  The hospital had warned that many find the removal of the PEG like losing a bit of you; I certainly missed it for the support it gave me through treatment.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Yes I have been told there will be a time and it will become my best friend.I certainly would not be without it having been told what may happen in the coming month's.

• Perfectly normal to be squimish. I remember the first time the district nurse came and told me I had to move it in and out (without shaking it all about ..)I didn't want her to do it for me therefore I had to do it but felt physically sick. Eventually it became part of my routine and didn't bother me at all. 

All the best for the start of your treatment, not long to go. 

Sending you loads of positive vibes. 

Fab1

•  I’m so done now. Just a final reminder of what I went through. However I’m so grateful I had it when I needed it. 

• Thank you for your advice and support 

• Thanks for all the support