Restaurant Card

• 19 replies
  • 33 subscribers

Hi all,

Just a question. Is anyone aware of a wallet size card, that can be shown at restaurants, etc, outlining your dietary requirements?

I am a 11 year veteran of cancer of the tongue, who is now suffering from the aftereffects of radiotherapy. Recently, I have had a jaw reconstruction caused by oestioradionecrosis.

As part of my rehabilitation, and for my mental health,  I am trying to get back to some form of restricted normality. Although the majority of my meals were pureed, I am now trying to eat soft food meals.

I am also aware of how restrictive my condition is for my family. Not being able to go out to restaurants or having to scrutinise every menu item, is not fun for anyone.

Also, having a problem with speech, makes it hard to communicate what you would like. It would be really great to have a small card, that highlighted the type of foods you can eat, pureed, soft, etc. Therefore, notifying the restaurants of your requirements.

Is anyone aware of the availability of such card? OR where you can get one from?

• Hi Paul hope you get the photos and it helps x

• Thank you so much for the photographs. This card is exactly what I am looking for and would be so helpful. I will try my local Macmillan Office to see if it is available in our area.

Once again, thank you.

• My teeth hurt so bad that I couldn't eat anything but soft food and couldn't take a bite of anything

Hi and welcome. Have your teeth been a problem during or after treatment? 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi. If you struggle to get one I would be happy to make you one (I run my own printing company) no cost. I'm going to make one for my hubby who is in the very early stages of starting to eat after finishing his treatment 10 weeks ago. Xx

• Lovely gesture that, sure people will appreciate x

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hi Jintymc,

Thank you so much for the lovely offer. I hopefully I will be working with The Swollows Foundation, in developing a card and data base. I will keep you informed on its progress.

I hope all goes well for you husband and if he needs to talk or asked questions, please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Paul

• Thanks. He won't come on here at all. It took me all I had to persuade him to go to the Maggie's monthly support group, so I just pop on here occasionally to see what hints and tips I can get from allBlush the fabulous and helpful folk on here so my offer to make the card is just my wee way of trying to give something back as I've had so much help given to us.  Blush

• I was the same for a long time. For a long time,I had my head buried in the sand, as I tried to cope on my own. What I do know is if I hadn’t talked to people when I did I would not be here today. I would not have had the opportunity to walk my daughter down the aisle, or swim with dolphins with my wife etc.

Today, I am 11 years cancer free but dealing with some of the awful after effects of radiotherapy. It is now that I feel I need to talk to people more and more, to find out how to deal/cope with some of these issues. I have received invaluable advice from people who have been through what I am going through and know the answers.

So keep talking, even if it is on his behalf. X

• Hey there, I'm really sorry to hear about what you're going through. It sounds tough, but it's great to hear you're working towards some sense of normality. I haven't come across a specific card like that, but it's a brilliant idea! It could really make dining out easier for you and your family. Maybe you could try creating one yourself with your dietary requirements listed clearly.