Mouth cancer in jaw and jawbone

• 20 replies
  • 35 subscribers

Hi everyone,  4 weeks ago I had surgery to remove a squamous cell tumour in my lower left gum and replace it with a flap from my lower right leg, and also reconstruct my lower left jaw bone where the cancer had taken a grip. with bone also from my lower right leg. A skin graft was taken from my right thigh, and has taken well to my lower right leg.

I'm in total awe of what has happened to me,  and was fortunate enough to have the opportunity to thank my consultant with all my heart and express my extreme gratitude in him and his team's life saving surgery at a meeting last week. 

I recovered really well, and was home after 18 days in hospital, with my only concern being that they did find cancer in the lymph node they removed from my neck during the operation. I  have been concerned about that,  but my fears have been somewhat allayed,  as I understand squamous cancer cells are different to those cancer cells found in bowel,  prostrate and most organ cancers.

Since being at home , my other half has been all over me, and the most wonderful support I could ever wish for, she is truly heaven sent. 

I have a few questions to put out there. I have always  been slightly on the emotional side of things,  but since I've been at home, this has become a little more extreme on occasions. For example,  I cry about things on TV, like sad news, death etc. Yesterday, we decided to start putting up the Christmas decs,  I put some Christmas music on, and within seconds I was sobbing my heart out as my other half literally held me in her arms. I  wasn't sad, I just felt so emotional to be alive and preparing for my favourite time of the year. Is this a normal side effect of what people go through, and can it be permanent?

I know I've only been home for a week and a half now,  but I've always been a really good sleeper throughout the entire night, but since coming home, pretty much all of my dreams seem to be linked to my condition,  and I wake up about 3 or 4 times per night,  and really struggle to get back to sleep.  Is this normal,  and can anyone recommend any treatment/ medication to  help,  as I so love my sleep.

Also,  with the regards to the flap inside my mouth,  how long does it take for it to feel completely normal,  or does it ever feel normal. I am doing well with eating and drinking,  but it doesn't feel comfortable and make a my jaw ache, when does thst feel normal? My speech isn't bad at all, really only struggling with the letter 's', and not yet had language therapy sessions. Any tips?

One final thing, it will be decided in the next couple of weeks when I'm likely to expect to start my 6 week daily radiotherapy sessions,  and I'm curious to know what I'm likely to feel like in some detail.  Alongside this,  I may need weekly Chemo at the same time,  again, I'm very curious what to expect from this cocktail of treatments?

I know there's a lot of questions here, but any hints and tips on any or part of my queries I'd be extremely grateful for. Thanks

• I still get very emotional now, after 3 years, slightest thing can set me off.

Strangest thing that happened to me though was a few months after my treatment was finished I really missed it all.

I absolutely loved being in hospital (apart from the time I got stuck in the lift) and really missed all the interaction when everything was over.

Made it to Christmas, made it to my birthday, had a nice summer, made it to my 2nd (and 3rd) Christmas now writing a blog about my treatment - https://www.1in1440.co.uk/april-2018-you-have-cancer/
  • Can relate to that Penrod. I still, whenever I have an appointment at the hospital (had one this morning, all good), make a point of entering through oncology rather than the main entrance, then I go up the stairs and walk past the ward where I've spent about six weeks over three stays. Then come back downstairs to ENT out-patients to meet people who, starting with the receptionist who's been there all along, I feel such love and gratitude to. I can't sit in the waiting room for five minutes without a staff member sitting down with me for a chat, it's a great feeling even though it was brought about by some very difficult times.

I'd never go as far as to say I'm glad I got cancer but it has led to me meeting loads of wonderful people who I'd otherwise not have, not least "virtual" people on here.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hi Alboyg,

You've had so many excellent replies already, so I'd like to add a couple of other tips when going through chemoradiation therapy. As @Beesuit has pointed out, it is pretty brutal. If you are offered a gastrostomy (feeding tube through stomach) definitely take it as I found eating and drinking for a month almost impossible with all the mouth ulcers. Also, take the pain meds religiously; I completely put myself over to the advice from all the consultants, dieticians, physio people etc, and  that eased some of the burden. 

I've blogged here about what to expect from getting the mask fitted, to side effects of radiation, to how long recovery might take. You're in for a roller coaster experience, but you will get through it, no matter how hard it feels at times. https://www.ansonmackay.com/blog 

Wishing you all the best for the coming months. You'll get loads of support on this forum

Cheers, Ans

• Thank you Ans, grest advice. I will certainly do all you suggested.  so certainly sounds like it's going to be uncomfortable and painful,  but anything that helps me keep on top of my nutrition  will be welcomed.

Thanks again x

• Aww, that's so sweet. I can fully understand where you're coming from. I  got very attached to all to all the staff that were looking after me in the hospital during my recovery in hospital. The level of care from every single one of these amazing people was completely off the scale!! The nurses and general ward stuff are, without a doubt, the most under-valued incredible people this country is so lucky to have x

• Wow, so pleased you've managed to come through this hugely difficult journey in your life, again   you are yet another inspiration for my own journey ahead, and I think you for that. Incredible people do incredible things to enure we all have a future, and everyone's experience and support have already made a huge difference in making me feel less alone x

• Thanks Dani. Been feeling really alone. Have great family and friends but no one who has gone through this. 

Josie x

• Hi Josie, I think we all know how difficult it is to face cancer, it is something you have to do mainly on your own with others only in support. 

On here we do understand; and family and friends can say well intentioned things that don't really help.  As you say, unless they have gone through similar they really don't know what you are feeling.  I found that it took me well over a year to convince my wife what I was going through.  We both have different outlooks on life - she only sees the positive miracle and I plan for the worst, expecting much better but being prepared for the alternative.  After a while we finally found some common ground.

Is the alone bit possibly as a result of completing treatment and not having the constant clinical contact?  If so the Beesuit (Dani) has a link to a helpful pamphlet from a clinician dealing with post treatment issues.

Two things. 

Persevere with friends and family in gently telling them what it is you feel.   Eventually they will get it.

Remember this group is here for you to rant and ask for support from people who really know what it is like.

With that in mind, I hope you have a great Christmas with the family.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Alboyg

I'm sorry, I've only just caught up with your post.  Don't know how I managed to miss it!

You've had some brilliant responses so far.  Congratulations on getting through the first part of your treatment.  All I would add is try not to overthink the next stage too much.  By all means take on board the side effects but do bear in mind that not everyone gets them to the same extent.  We can be quite different in our individual reaction to tratment.

With regards getting emotional, I too have always been quite an emotional person but my goodness it's off the scale now! 

Good luck with everything.

Linda x