Cheek & Jaw Cancer Update

• 49 replies
  • 35 subscribers

I've not updated for a while, but thought I'd let you all know how my son is getting on.  In June he had surgery to remove a tumour in his cheek, which had also spread to his jaw.  Bone and skin were taken from his leg to rebuild inside his cheek and also to rebuild his jaw.  He's had 2 x 8 hour chemo sessions and 33 radiotherapy sessions.  He's had a few setbacks, a couple of infections in his mouth etc, 2 large blood clots in the leg the bone was taken from, resulting in twice daily blood thinning injections, which he has to do for 6 months, plus a fistula with a hole in so fluids leak out of his cheek, as well as few other issues.  However, he's making good progress now, although he still can't eat solid food and is still relying on his feeding tube.  He saw his consultant today and he was told everything is going to plan, he mustn't expect too much as he's been though a lot, the hole in his cheek should eventually close up, but he will most likely still have the fistula (he said he has a new dimple) ha ha.  He is hoping to be able to work part time from home towards the end of January.  Thank you all so much for all your support, suggestions etc, you've all kept me going.  I don't know how I would have coped without all your words of encouragement.  

Thanks again everyone, take care and stay safe.  Hope you all have a good Christmas and an even better New Year

Janet

• Hi Janet

Such good news that your son is getting on so well. He has been through a lot as you all have. It is great that he is thinking about going back to work so he must be really on the road to recovery. The whole experience is life changing not only for him but for the rest of the family. It is getting on with the 'new normal’ and that can take a bit of getting used to but sounds as though he is doing really well with that and with the bonus of an extra dimple in his cheek.

Best wishes to you all

Lyn

Sophie66

• Thanks for the update Janet; really sounds like your son has been through the mill, but very pleased things are looking positive and it sounds like he has a good attitude as well which always helps. Recovery is a slow process, especially with the surgery he's had, but light at the end of the tunnel it seems.

Happy Christmas to you and your family as well, and hope things continue to improve in the new year, I'm sure they will.

Community Champion Badge

Metastatic SCC diagnosed 8th October 2013. Modified radical neck dissection November, thirty-five radiotherapy fractions with 2xCisplatin chemo Jan/Feb 2014. Recurrence on larynx diagnosed July 2020 so salvage laryngectomy in September 2020.

http://mike-o.blogspot.co.uk/

• Hi Janet. Onwards and upwards.What’s an extra dimple in the scheme of things. Have a lovely Christmas and a better new year. 
    hugs Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi, Janet ,thanks for the update, it's good your son's recovery is coming on, it does at times seem one step forward and two back, but he will get there in the end. I too had to have the blood thinning injections for 6 months, due to having clots from a PICC line in my arm, although mine was only once a day. All the best to him, you and all your family. Have good Christmas and a better New Year.

Regards Ray.

• All sounds very similar to my experience.

Apart from the skin graft not taking on my leg, my leg has been fine, I did have a small hole that leaked incredibly smelly fluid (especially when infected) not from my cheek though but under my chin in the centre.

I kept getting infections until I ended up going in for a minor op and had a pack put in.

Nice to hear he's slowly getting better, it all takes time.

Made it to Christmas, made it to my birthday, had a nice summer, made it to my 2nd (and 3rd) Christmas now writing a blog about my treatment - https://www.1in1440.co.uk/april-2018-you-have-cancer/
  • Hi Penrod Good to hear from  you. You must be approaching 3 years soon ! How time flies. Onwards and upwards 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi and thanks 

3 years last month since final session of radiotherapy, 3 years in December since last operation.

Have to update my signature soon for my 4th Christmas Slight smile

I don't post a lot, but still drop in every now and then.

Made it to Christmas, made it to my birthday, had a nice summer, made it to my 2nd (and 3rd) Christmas now writing a blog about my treatment - https://www.1in1440.co.uk/april-2018-you-have-cancer/
  • Thanks so much for updating us on the progress of your son's recovery Janet.  Really pleased to hear his consultant is happy with the way things are going.

Do take care  and all very best wishes to you and your family.

Linda x

• Janet,

Thanks for the update. You son has really been through it, but pleased to hear things are improving. You've all had a tough year. Hope you get some wonderful family time together this Christmas. Sending you all my warmest wishes. 

Ronnie 

• Hi Penrod, my son's fistula and hole is just by the side of his mouth, like you he keeps getting infections and it leaks smelly fluid.  Hopefully it will heal up, but if not he will need to maybe have a minor op.  Thanks for your help and encouragement .  Have a good Christmas 

Janet x