Next chapter

• 18 replies
  • 35 subscribers

5 months post treatment and getting there.

Big day today, had my PEG removed. Managed with just the numbing spray and no sedation, all done in 5 mins. Strange popping to the loo and not having to move tube from waistband! Throat slightly tender, otherwise all good.

Properly back to work tomorrow with mixed feelings. Have got used to being at home with hubbie & pooch, really going to miss them. Sadly can't quite retire at 48! Nervous about being back in the classroom next week after 9 months away from it. Also hope I can stay focused, really struggle to concentrate these days. Reassured not on my own with that from Hazel's post yesterday. Will see how I get on with fatigue and voice too. Had a dog walker lined up to help for first few weeks, but there's been an outbreak of kennel cough, so can't start that for a couple of weeks. 

Eating getting better all the time, even starting to enjoy some meals! Dryness manageable. 

Thank you once again to everyone on here, the support has been amazing. Some of the strength lies in there being people here who have notched some years up post treatment, others at a similar stage and then some who are starting out on this detour, making you feel useful when paying back the help. 

Still a long way to go in terms of recovery, but hopefully will start to see how 'new normal' feels. 

Take care all, Ronnie 

• Hi Good luck for tomorrow just pace yourself. Remember not everyone gets every side effect. I am fine on the cognitive impairment side jyst keeping mind active helps immensely.

good luck Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi Sarah welcome to our little group. Ronnie has got it right to start with its calories by whatever means. I found poached eggs on top of smashed avocado a great calorie ticker. 
    It surprises  many people but well buttered toast is easier to get down than bread. Add cheese and grilling e g a fruit tea cake nibble if and you’ve got 450 or so calories. I had to wash down with Luke  warm herbal tea not ideal but needs must. Dunk a Jaffa cake again calories. I used to orally drink 6 ensures at 300 calories took all day then supplement with what ever could  eat. 
    sone days the inside of a mini pork pie warmed hit the spot. Just experiment. 
    I had a n g tube which I had out week 3 of recovery which forced the issue for me. 
    I kniw my trust needs you to maintain weight orally for 4 weeks before peg will be removed so ask your cancer nurse. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi good luck for tomorrow. Be patient with yourself its easier once you there and mind starts working again and some days you even forget about your cancer for a bit which is actual good. Blush 

• My swallowing is ok, my trouble is dry mouth and textured foods in my mouth.

Hello M2G3

Lots of great answers so far.

On the saliva issue I found chewing xylitol gum improved my saliva no end and Acupuncture was a saviour.

There are two entries in my blog linked at the bottom of the post if you are interested in pursuing that avenue 

Taking the tiniest sip of a warm drink with my food to act as a sort of saliva helped my no end too.

Even now 2 years plus after my treatment ended Xylimelts are part of my bedroom prep. Popping one in my cheek gives me a sleep uninterrupted b y having to take sips of water.

Best wishes

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Ronnie, best wishes for your return to work.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Thanks Ray, hope you're ok 

• Thanks lou lou, yes was good to focus on other things. Pooped now 

Take care 

• Thanks Peter, so dar so good

Take care