Mouth and Jaw Cancer

• 30 replies
  • 31 subscribers

Just a quick update about my son.  My son was diagnosed in April with Mouth and Jaw Cancer.  He had surgery Tuesday 29 June and bone and skin were removed from his leg to rebuilt his jaw.  Obvious with Covid restrictions no one is allowed to visit, although his wife might be able to go once while he's there.  My daughter-in-law has set up a What's App family group including both myself and my husband and other children and grandchildren.  Progress so far is slow, but it's early days.  Yesterday the nurses got him out of bed and sat him in a chair for a few minutes and today he has managed to send a text to the What's App group to say they have changed his tracheotomy this morning, and are hoping he will be able to speak a little in the next day or so, they are also getting him out of bed again and want him to sit in a chair for 3 hours.  It's absolutely wonderful what the surgeons and nurses can do, and we know that our son is in very safe hands.  It's just so frustrating that we can't visit.  He is liable to be in hospital for about 3 weeks.  Then of course radiotherapy and chemotherapy, but there is light at the end of the tunnel.  For those of you facing similar surgery, be strong and brave, Hang in there, Take care x

• Thanks so much for the update on your son.

Hope his recovery continues to go well.

All the best.

Linda x

• Thank you for update yes our n h s can do wonders. You’ll soon have him back in the family fold. We will all help with any questions about chemo radiotherapy. 
    hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• That’s good news. I can’t understand this visiting embargo though. I spent five minutes loading my Covid travel passport on my phone. It’s a QR code. Surely if you’re double vaccinated they should let you in. 
    Whatsapp and Zoom have been life savers during this pandemic ( unless you’re a politician I guess Wink ) 

I hope he improves each day and is back home soon 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you, yes we've all had both vaccinations, but unfortunately it's the policy of the University Hospital Coventry & Warwick.  They did say my daughter in law might be able to visit once !  I agree the Whatsapp family group is great and we're hoping, once he speak a little to do facetime or Zoom with him.  As I said, it's so good to have this group for advice and encouragement.  Hope you're soon fully recovery.  Take care.  Janet 

• Janet. You might like to read Terry’s blog. He did have a few setbacks where few people do but he got there and looks pretty good. He’s a member here 

You can have a look at his profile too 

his blog is here 

www.1in1440.co.uk/.../

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks for the mention

UHCW is where I was, Ward 32 like a 2nd home for a while, I loved it in there

@Macfarlane -  Probable the same consultant, Gary Walton?

Made it to Christmas, made it to my birthday, had a nice summer, made it to my 2nd (and 3rd) Christmas now writing a blog about my treatment - https://www.1in1440.co.uk/april-2018-you-have-cancer/
  • I'm not sure, I'll ask my son.  I would think it probably is the same consultant.  Thanks for replying.  Hope things are going well for you now.  Take care 

• 3 years ago next week when I had my 1st OP 

Just pigged out on a kebab from the local chip shop, there was a time I didn't think I would be eating stuff like that again Slight smile

Mind you, I still get cravings for a Fortisip

Made it to Christmas, made it to my birthday, had a nice summer, made it to my 2nd (and 3rd) Christmas now writing a blog about my treatment - https://www.1in1440.co.uk/april-2018-you-have-cancer/
  • Thank you for the update. Will be thinking about you and your son and sending good wishes your way.  Cherry blossomxx

• Hi, my son's consultant is Gary Walton, he has been great.  My son has done so well with everything that he was allowed home 10 days earlier than was expected.  He still looks like he's been 10 rounds in a boxing ring, and is having difficulty with speaking, his words are slurred, but he has a positive attitude and, although he was told the cancer was stage 4, he should make a good recovery.  Thanks for all the words of encouragement, it certainly helps.  Take care x