Finished treatment today :-)

• 22 replies
  • 136 subscribers

Hey all,

it’s been a slog, but finished my six weeks of chemo radiotherapy today!

I was diagnosed early Feb with cancer on lingual right tonsil (T2 N1 M0, hpv 16+)

I had two rounds of chemo (Cisplatin) on week 1 and week 3. The second dose really knocked me for six but thankfully side effect didn’t last too long (other than pretty bad tinnitus, which I still have)

other than that I seem to have avoided need for a feeding tube and and just about still able to eat and swallow with paracetamol and xantacaine (not sure of spelling but it’s like a liquid local anaesthetic you take 15 mins before eating). That plus 2-3 ensure drinks a day have helped keep calorie intake up. 

Not expecting to immediately feel better, but looking forward to feeling better over the next few weeks and - eventually - enjoying food again

Thanks to all on the forum for the support, info and help when a joined Smiley

• Hi Mistake Not

I was the same as you and did not feel confident to travel far from home for at least a year after my surgeries. Getting back to eating again albeit in a different form for me took a while and my energy levels were too low to take a challenging holiday. Instead I started small going away with my husband for a weekend fairly locally and then that built my confidence up. I learnt what I could manage and how to adapt things so that a holiday worked for me. Just took a 3 week holiday in Tasmania in Nov last year (I live in Australia) and was able to use all the experience I had gleaned from the smaller holidays so that the holiday was really successful.

You'll get back to the longer holidays you just can't rush it.

Lyn

P.S. Sadly my love for chocolate has gone too. I used to be a real chocoholic and now the grandkids polish off all my chocs when they are given to me as a gift.

Sophie66

• I was the same, it gave my confidence one hell of a knock, I didn't want to go far from the house for a good while. We did go to Florida.to see our friends, about ten months after my treatment finished, that was fine. Although it was about four years before, I rode my motorcycle again, and I never did feel 100% happy on it again, so unfortunately, I sold it.

Ray.  

• Hi Mistake Not,

That's your first milestone passed ! Take a day at a time.The days will turn to weeks then months.

All the best,

Turi

• Hi Ray

I was a biker of 40+ years.... enjoyed motorbiking immensely...sadly I feel that my balance has been affected by chemo....so have given up...very reluctantly 

Peter

• Hi Peter, I have had bikes of all sizes, from the age of 16, so it was very hard to sell my last bike. However, I do feel lucky to still be here, things could have been a lot worse. Hope you're keeping well.

Ray. 

• Well done, very happy for you! Onwards and upwards.

Jackie

• I can so identify with this.  I’m 5 months out and have zero appetite.  Swallowing is problematic due to lack of saliva which makes eating a  chore rather than a pleasure.  I’m hoping that it’s early days and that things will get better. Can’t come soon enough.

•  Swallowing is problematic due to lack of saliva which makes eating a  chore

Try taking a tiny sip of a warm drink to act as a proxy saliva while you chew. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you. I’ve tried water but not a warm drink. I’ll give it a go.

• Well done keep on doing what you’re doing 

Hazel x

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help