Alternatives to Caphosol dispensible tablets UK

• 5 replies
  • 125 subscribers

Hi, I was diagnosed and treated for head and neck cancer Jan 2023.

During and following treatment I have been using Caphosol dispersive tablets to create a fizzy mouth rinse.

These have now been discontinued and I am struggling to find an alternative and wondered what other people used?

For me, the best mouth rinse is one that is sparkling / fizzy as still mouth rinses do not have any positive impact on my mouth dryness.

i use xylitol for when I’m at the gym and Oralieve gel and mouth spray but really need to back this up with a mouth rinse.

if anyone has any suggestions of an alternative then please do let me know.

thanks all, best wishes, Neil

• Hi Neil. As far as I know Caphosol is a phosphate buffer used to treat RT mouth ulcers. So not really indicated for a mouth in recovery 

What I can recommend is BioXtra dry mouth mouthwash which cancer patients can get on prescription. You can but it on Amazon so maybe you could try one to see if it suits 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Beesuit! Many thanks for the response, I’ll try some from Amazon and then see about prescription if it works for me, thanks.

Glad to see you’re out the other side and recovered well. 
    best wishes, Neil

• Glad to see you’re out the other side and recovered well. 

Thanks Neil, I am 

Improvements continue for years and things do get better. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Neil

I think different things work for different people for the same condition.  I was given a huge number of lotions and potions to try by my hospital.  In the end I found a (still) mouthwash called Oral 7 and sparkling water is what helps me.  Unfortunately neither are on prescription!  I do use Oralieve gel occasionally but generally find it to "sticky" to really help.  A lot of people suggest Xylimelts but I find them worse than useless.

Everything seems to have Xylitol in it no matter what is on offer so I guess it is the other things in the potion that make the difference between success and failure.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Hi Peter - thanks very much for the suggestion. I've asked GP for a biotene mouthwash to try but if that's not suitable i'll have a try of the Oral 7, thanks. Sparkling drinks, for me, have been a great help generally as are hot or cold milky/creamy drinks, still drinks/squash/juices seem to have a negative impact in terms of dry mouth so I mainly avoid them.

Read your profile and you've had quite an up and down period of time! Hoping that you continue improving and making strides to finding your new normal! 

Best wishes, Neil