NEWBIE and REACHING OUT ——- Tonsil &Lymph nodes HPV16

• 45 replies
  • 133 subscribers

Hi.  So I’ve been lurking around this page for a couple of days now and have found hope in many of your posts.  I thought it was time I said hello and gave a little of my story as I guess I’m going to be relying on you all a lot more. (Hope that’s ok).

Like many on here I noticed a lump on my neck but unlike most I ignored it for many months (I had my reasons).  When I did see a G.P. (Jan 24) It all moved forward quickly.

Biopsy on neck (Jan 24) found it to be cancer and many scans followed to find primary site.  The primary was never found on scans so TORS surgery last month where they ‘suspected’ it was.

Pathology results confirmed it was in my right tonsil and I was offered to either be part of the Pathos Trial or purely chemoradiotherapy.  I didn’t feel remotely intelligent enough to make this decision (jeez I can hardly spell my own name of late). Anyhoo this week I have agreed on the Pathos Trial.  I will have surgery again next week TORS and neck dissection.  My thinking is that as we know it is remaining in the tonsil area and sneaked over to some lymph nodes the more that can be ‘cut away’ possibly less treatment at the other end?? Although I’m aware I will need radiotherapy at the very least.

I kinda know what to expect from TORS now but looking for experiences of neck dissection and how to care for scar and radiotherapy and all that goes with it?

Sorry for the long post and all the questions .

• Hi Allana

Sorry to hear of your diagnosis but you are in the right place to get support and info from those who have been there.

Over time like Peter I have had neck dissections on both sides of my neck. The scars are almost invisible now. I had a non eventful recovery with both of mine and found the recovery quite easy. I don't even remember being on pain killers for long. I did have a reduction in movement of my arm for a short while and unable to raise it very high. This resolved very quickly and I have no issues now. Some people have had physio to help if the reduced movement goes on for too long. I rubbed Bio oil on my scars. There is a feeling of tightness still along the scars and an alteration in sensation but it is something that you get used to after a while.

There is loads of experience with radiotherapy on the forum so there will be lots of help and advice when you get to that stage.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Hey Lyn

thanks for the info. That is really reassuring to read.  I suppose in my own mind I’ve accepted any scars etc (it’s amazing the ‘trade offs’ you make in your head). I just don’t know what to expect initially after surgery.  Stitches or staples while I’ve read others had tubes and drains. 
    I suppose I’m always in parent mode and it’s trying to casually prepare my family.

allan 

• Hi again,

I've had one dissection with stitches and a drain and another with just staples.  The only difference is in the feeling as the drain and stitches come out. Staples sound like a Frankenstein moment, but I actually preferred them.  I stayed in overnight both times. The first time because of the drain (nothing drained!) and the second was mainly because I had a tonsillectomy at the same time.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey
  • Thanks again for the guidance.

I suppose I’m once again trying to cover every eventuality but it really is a case of wait and see.

Im pleased I asked though as the neck dissection no longer seems as scary.

I’m sure I will have more random questions shortly !

allana 

• Hi Allana

One of my neck dissections was a stand alone op and the other one was as part of my surgery for a mandibulectomy. For the stand alone one I was in hospital overnight and had a drain in which they took out before I left the hospital. I had stitches both times. It seems such a long time ago now and the memory is not so clear but I think maybe my stitches were dissolving ones but not sure. You will need to check with your consultant on that one.

Lyn

Sophie66

• Hi Alli. I had the tonsillectomy and neck dissection, in one go using TORS, and I joined PATHOS. I figured I’d take everything they offered me to cure this thing. Everyone in here will tell you that the treatment is challenging but, obviously, doable and achieves very high success rates.  Three and a half years on and my neck is an irritation at times but no worse than that and certainly well worth the treatment. I still need to do neck exercises and lymphodema massage from time to time, albeit not constantly, and the inside of my mouth still throws up the odd bump and sore now and again but I’ve learned to live with all that and am living life even better than I did pre treatment. I do describe in some detail my experiences in my profile so have a quick look there for any more info. Or ask, of course! People in here are very friendly Blush

• Lyn 

again I’m just pleased to hear it’s a procedure that’s not overly stayed in your mind and you’ve been able to put it behind you as such.  I think the word dissection has just sent me into a spin.

best

Allana 

• Hey

loving the honest accounts of treatment without the horror stories. My second lot or surgery is tomorrow so hopefully on Thursday I be back on letting you all know how it went then pestering you with questions on ‘what’s next’

best

Allana 

• Hi I'd like to welcome you here. It's a great place and there is lots of help along the way so shout when you need us. I can't help with neck dissection or chemo as I avoided them both but did have six weeks RT. I'm chasing Hazel at over five years now. I'm saying my last goodbye to my oncologist next week. 

RT is doable....just a challenge.

I have a rough resume in my blog, link at the bottom of the post 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hope it went well. We’re all behind you!