Food tasting rancid.

• 47 replies
  • 133 subscribers

I've had 15 sessions of radiotherapy with 15 more to go. My taste went after 10.  Everything I try tastes absolutely  awful. Even my toothpaste tastes disgusting.  I really hate to try to eat so using peg for nourishment.   I'm drinking 2 ltd of water as directed, and doing exercises for jaw and swallowing. Has anyone had this problem and will it affect my swallowing later. Also when will taste start to return.  I love food but cannot cope with it at the moment.  Any advice would be welcome.   It is really good to read about other people's story. Best wishes. 

• Hi  

Just found your blog on instagram...good stuff

Have your tried Auricular Acupuncture for saliva and taste....it helped me?

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi that's awful , i hope it improves for you. I love food but I don't even want t to look at it.  Just keeping my fingers crossed it will get better later down the line. Take care. Xx

1. Martie
  • Hi everybody , I'm  on week 5 now of radiotherapy (1 more to go)  and feeling really well. Painful throat but paracetamol and oramorph keeping it tollerable.  Being fed through peg as taste is rancid. Feeling more tired now. But so relieved not as bad as expected.  Thank you all for your advice and comments. Best wishes. 

1. Martie
  • Hi Martie. You're on the home stretch...well done

Just hunker down for 3/4 weeks when you've finished and you'll start to come out of the fog. Hug. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hello Martie, it really does get better, though at different speeds for everyone. My taste buds and swallowing are fine now. Hang in there, keep getting the food/fuel and fluids down and you'll soon be turning the corner.  Sending love

Catriona

September 2022 aged 63 diagnosed with HPV associated SCC base of tongue T4 N2 M0. Chemo & radiotherapy for 6 weeks ending Nov 2022.  Dec 2023 one year all clear. See my profile for longer story

• Hi, it's awful I have not tried food since week 2. Week 6 next week. Like you I  cannot even look at food. I hope it gets better for both of us soon. Take care. Xx

1. Martie
  • Thank you for your comments, it is most encouraging. Glad that you are now well.  Xx

1. Martie
  • Hiiii…. Same here!

I had surgery last feb and finished radiotherapy last May, and food still tastes rotten, I’m told it will get better in time.

i used to love my food, now I don’t enjoy anything I find it boring, I have a 5 stone weight loss! So I try eat just because I have to Weary

just try eat what you can x

• Hi everyone   finished 6 weeks of radiotherapy.  Pain the throat awful.  Mucus making me gag, sores on neck sore. Had a good cry. Dr put me on morphine patch  but still very painful.  Dreading going to sleep because as soon as I wake up I have to run to sink with mucus making me gag.. I know its early days but.   

1. Martie
  • Hi Martie the mucus is awful. I gargled with sparkly water which someone on here suggested as I was waking up every couple of hours coughing my head off.