Recently diagnosed & awaiting treatment

• 3 replies
  • 126 subscribers

Hi everyone,

After a couple of weeks of nagging from my (lovely) wife I've finally decided to get with the program and say hello.

I was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma in both sides of my neck on 8th October, a swelling and also a small lump on one side and a lump that has since got larger on the other side. My PET/CT scan clearly showed the neck tumours but nothing visible in the throat or tongue area. However, there were a number of patches that showed up on my lungs. They whipped my tonsils out and just under 3 weeks later performed a bronchoscopy. No cancer in the tonsils but it has spread to my lungs. They still haven't established a primary site. It's worth noting that I've only had biopsies from the small lump on my neck (lymph node I believe) and from a node in my lung. Nothing from the swelling or the larger angrier lump on the opposite side. The lung news wasn't great but on the positive side it now means I can avoid 6 weeks of RT although I might need a weeks worth on the angry lump.

I'm due to start treatment week commencing 13th December but still don't know whether it will be immunotherapy or chemo. Should know on Thursday when I have a telephone consultation with my oncologist, she's awaiting results from further tests to determine treatment.

And that's where I'm at as I write this. It's already been a bit of a journey and I haven't even started treatment yet and I'm starting to feel a little emotionally drained. My wife has been brilliant, she likes to take control of this sort of thing having been through breast cancer herself 8 years ago and strongly believes in managing things like diet, fitness etc.

I've been pretty accepting of everything so far even the spread to the lung, it's everybody else that seems upset and concerned, not sure if that's normal but I think it helps me cope and also helps when talking to friends and family about it, some people find it hard to know how to react. My 2 teenage boys haven't said much about it but then they are teenage boys :-) My daughter who is 21 lives in Norwich, I'm very much looking forward to seeing her over Xmas, she's going to get one mahoosive hug.

Sorry for waffling on but it is good to get things off your chest (if you'll pardon the pun).

See y'all.

• Hi DJ and welcome to the community. That’s a lot to take in at once but you do sound as if you are being as upbeat as you can which is a great help. 
    There are a few people here on immunotherapy for SCC and there have been some excellent results. 
    Stick with us and let us know what treatment is decided upon. There are lots of helping hands here

Best wishes 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi DJ welcome to our small community group sorry you’ve found yourself here. You sound like you’re remaining upbeat. Take it one day at a time and kerp popping on here. Someone’s always around most days. Let us know how you get on on Thursday. 
    Hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now 5 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help  

• Hi DJ and a warm welcome from me too.

Your acceptance of your situation sounds very much like me when I was going through the stages of diagnosis.  I remained very calm throughout, probably helped massively by my consultant who was supremely confident that everything would be fine. 

Wishing you all the best for your treatment, whatever that may be, and a wonderful Christmas with your family.

Linda x