New Cancer Diagnosis

• 4 replies
  • 74 subscribers

I have already  had  Bilateral Tonsillectomy and  Neck Dissection    

Both Tonsils  Negative,  41 Lymph nodes  Neg , I  node very Low Grade Malignancy and still in its Capsule, it has taken quite a long time to get onto 2 Week Pathway  because all investigations  on the Presenting Lump  didn't  show anything. 

I now have to face Base of Tongue  mucosectomy  with Robot to try and find where the Primary is , Is this more painful  than  The Tonsillectomy ? I'm terrified 

I have been   advised  the Primary may never be found  , any help would be  appreciated   , it's like more and more layers of not knowing  and not having a Diagnosis 

• Hello, 

I had a tonsillectomy and mucosectomy operation prior to my neck dissection operation. As the tonsillectomy and mucosectomy was the same operation, I can only really comment on what they felt like. 

There was a fair amount of pain and difficulty with swallowing food after around day 3-4 post operation. I had difflam spray which helped and I also took dissolvable cocodamol 500mg/codeine 30mg which helped.

Unfortunately I pushed myself too fast too soon and tried to eat normal food and I choked, resulting in a haemorrhage and readmission to hospital for a nights observations. So, I would advise small bites, soft food, plenty of painkillers and around day 7-10 you should start to feel better

Chris 

• Thanks  for  your reply

I know exactly  what you  mean  , I pushed myself  to eat normal food a bit too quickly because  the Advice  is  to do this to help get slough off etc but  I   am going  to  definitely  stick to more of a sift Diet initially  , how soon were you able to drink abd eat 

• I was able to drink and eat straight away. My consultant encouraged it as she wanted the wound area to have food hitting it to help it heal apparently. The hospital kept me on relatively soft food for a day and sent me home 

• Hi.  Have a look at my profile for similarities with you.  I have never found any operation on my tounge more painful than a tonsillectomy.  It is not unusal (but not common) for head and neck cancers to "Cancer of Unknown Primary" - CUP.  It is worrying not knowing the definative answer, but treatment will be designed to take care of the unkown part.

One of the issues is that the tumours can be very small in the early stages, but may well have been caught by the lymph nodes doing their job correctly.  One of my tumours was described as "the size of a grain of rice" and never showed on any scans, but because of my history the consultant knew to take action to find the tumour.  Treatment is effective.  It is not nice, but there is a very high probablility of a cure.

Peter
    See my profile for more details of my convoluted journey