Will I be able to swallow again?

• 5 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hi again, I’m really panicking this morning and would like some advice from people with similar problems.  I have cancer of the tongue and lymph nodes on right side and have been using a feeding rig for approx 3 weeks since my tongue was too sore to touch with food. Today I tried to sip a Luke warm cup of tea and each small mouthful regurgitates back in my mouth. Please advise how long this lasts and should I just keep trying to swallow? We are meant to be having a couple of days in a caravan and I’m worried if I should stay home or just stock up with drinks and hope it soon improves x

• Sue, you’ve only just finished CRT haven’t you? It’s really early days. Please try to be kind to yourself and not expect too much. 
    I had my NG tube in for six weeks after RT. I managed soft stuff gradually after that but even my oncologist said I was doing better than most. 
    Instead of swallowing liquid I did my swallow exercises. I was too frightened of choking. 
    Honestly it gets better but slowly. 
    If you find something difficult or impossible stop for a week and try again. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • We are meant to be having a couple of days in a caravan and I’m worried if I should stay home or just stock up with drinks

Take your drinks and peg feed. It will take the pressure off. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Thanks Dani I just needed reassurance as it really freaked me out this morning when I realised that nothing stays down. I am one week since RT finished and was told that it would get worse for a week then peak and gradually get better into the second week. Did drinks burn your mouth? Thanks again for your prompt response just what I needed xx

• I am one week since RT finished and was told that it would get worse for a week then peak and gradually get better into the second week.

That’s absolutely not true. The peak may be three weeks and an improvement you are happy with can be six months. The treatment has absolutely battered you. Your body needs lots of time to recover. 
    Even when you can eat better you can still expect radiation fatigue to slay you occasionally. All this is normal. Don’t worry. 

Did drinks burn your mouth?

Absolutely. I didn’t lose my NG till 6 weeks. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • You are such a help Dani and I’ve now come to terms with the recovery period, thanks so much xx