Mouthwashes

• 8 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Hi my consultant recommended fluoriguard fluoride mouthwash last week but boots don't have it. He put it on repeat prescription. I have been buying ultra Dex but he said I shouldn't have to buy everything. Boots don't have it in stock. Does anyone recommend any other alternative mouthwash with fluoride . I don't mind buying. I do like ultra Dex tbh. Thank you x

• Hi

All I would suggest is have you tried alternative Chemists for the wash, there is no reason you have to go to Boots or you could get the Consultant to get the prescription from the hospital pharmacy as an alternative.

I'm assuming by this you have some sort of Mouth cancer may I suggest that you look at the The Swallows website as they are the special charity for mouth and neck cancers and have lots of great products including free goodies

https://theswallows.org.uk/support/resources/

Hope this may help and hope you will get sorted

Take care

Tony

Community Champion Badge

We will move mountains to help people with cancer live life as fully as they can.
    We'll do whatever it takes. For information, support or just someone to talk to,

call 0808 808 00 00 or visit www.macmillan.org.uk

Onwards and UpwardsWink Laryngectomy and OC survivor 

Lead Volunteer for Hampshire MacMillan Buddy Service

• Hi Tony thank you. Yes I had tongue cancer. I know boots always say they don't have supplies . I have just being buying everything and consultant said I should be buying all the stuff we need for our mouths. 

• Shouldn't be buying 

• Boots don't have it in stock.

Boots have been rubbish for me. I use a small independent pharmacy and they order everything for me. 
    I get BioXtra and Duraphat in prescription to look after my teeth. 
    I don't like brushing constantly so my wheeze is to use the BioXtra which is ordinary fluoride and pop a tiny bit of Duraphat on the tip of my tongue after I’ve spat the mouthwash out. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Well I don't buy any of my mouthwash it was put on prescription to my GP when I left hospital after my Laryngectomy, If your consultant won't then speak with your GP as he can place it on one, I'm assuming you don't pay for prescriptions or are you on any other medication for your cancer treatment and they can add it to that and it should be free either way

Hopefully someone else will come on who has your cancer and may know better, mine was for Throat Cancer and with a Laryngectomy I risk dry mouth

I hope you get it sorted my M/wash is Chlorhexidine but that's not a recommendation so you would have to check

Tony

Community Champion Badge

We will move mountains to help people with cancer live life as fully as they can.
    We'll do whatever it takes. For information, support or just someone to talk to,

call 0808 808 00 00 or visit www.macmillan.org.uk

Onwards and UpwardsWink Laryngectomy and OC survivor 

Lead Volunteer for Hampshire MacMillan Buddy Service

• Oh thanks for that tip Dani is the bioextra just the dry mouth ultra mouthwash . Thank youx

• Yes. On prescription too.

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Hi Tony we don't pay for any prescriptions in northern Ireland. I will contact GP to speak to them. I'm not on any other medication for cancer. Thank you