Update on Husbands SNUC Rough road ahead!!

• 7 replies
  • 72 subscribers

Morning all,so here I am again,firstly I want to say thank you for your replies to my last post on here,I came on to offload and then disappeared again,consumed by worry and fear so I also want to say sorry for not replying,your support helps so much.

Anyway to cut a long story short,after scans revealed my Husband’s tumour started growing rapidly again,his consultant had many knock backs from surgeons who wouldn’t operate but has managed to find one that will.I have very mixed emotions about this,asking myself why none of the others would do it!! Putting those particular emotions aside I face new ones as the operation is taking place on the 27th of September,providing the artery blocking test is successful on the 26th….he is having “radical” surgery as they put it,which is a complex  craniofacial resection resulting in the loss of his right eye,he will be ventilated in icu over the weekend then if all goes to plan he will undergo reconstructive surgery on the Monday,involving using a graft from his thigh to make a “flap” for eye.We are both terrified in our own obvious different ways,I can’t sleep for worrying and feel constantly sick,my heart is breaking for him.If all is successful they say it will give him a couple (maybe more) of years extra life all be it a “different” life.

so after about 17 months of my first posting on here,it’s been a rocky old road and this is where we are at,oh we also had to cancel our Rhodes holiday which should have been on the 23rd,not too concerned about that,much bigger things to worry about but just wanted to say thanks to you all for the travel insurance recommendations,I was transparent with them so hopefully they pay us out because we are definitely going to need that money in the next few months,I need to find accommodation near the hospital as he will be in for approximately 2 weeks and I can’t drive there.
Anyway I’m waffling now,but thanks once again for listening and letting me get things off my chest

love and hugs to you all xxx

• Wishing you both all the best xxx

• Hi, Anxious71, there is no need for apologies. I'm really sorry you have had to post this news. Hopefully the surgery will be successful and give you both the extra time. We are all here to help when needed. 

Ray.

• Hello again and thank you again for finding the courage to share what's happened. It always seems worse actually seeing it in print before you.

his consultant had many knock backs from surgeons who wouldn’t operate but has managed to find one that will.I have very mixed emotions about this,asking myself why none of the others would do it!!

It's complicated but one of the main reasons is skill. If you don't do surgery like this all the ti e you just don't have that skill. I don't know where you have found somebody but I can throw an example at you. The surgeons at the head and neck unit at the Royal Marsden do amazing surgery. They have been featured in a documentary that aired on the TV. They are often criticised for the high risk surgery they do. Is it worth it for just a few extra months of life? Is is cost effective? These are arguments beyond me though. So please don't waste time on the what if's over that.

It is huge surgery and I'm glad that you have found somebody brave enough to be brave along with you both and give you a chance. 

Sending you both healing hugs xxx

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Thank you Ray,it does help having you guys on hear to let me get it out xxx

• Hi Dani,thank you,that does make sense,his surgery will take place at Christie’s in Manchester,consultant has said they are one of the best,the other options if he doesn’t have surgery will give us a lot less time and although I know it’s not me going through the trauma of the op physically I/we know this is the best option we have.I pray every day that we will get a bit more quality time together,it breaks my heart to think of the future so desperately trying to live in the present as awful as it is right now xxx

• Hi please don’t apologise sending hugs. We’re here for you to vent as well. Remember to look after yourself as well. 

hazel 

Hazel aka RadioactiveRaz 

My blog is www.radioactiveraz.wordpress.com  HPV 16+ tonsil cancer Now  6 years  post treatment. 35 radiotherapy 2 chemo T2N2NM.Happily getting on with living always happy to help