Confusion all round!

• 8 replies
  • 70 subscribers
Today I still haven't heard anything from ENT about my 'so called' consultation and to hand in my consent form for the PATHOS Trial on Thursday 12th September.  So I rang the hospital operator and asked what time my appointment is on Thursday 12th September.  She said that she didn't have me down for an appointment on Thursday 12th September?  I rang 'my' cancer nurse and (of course) had to leave a message for her to get back to me about it, which I have had to do before and she didn't get back to me. 
My husband said that perhaps the surgeon meant the Monday of the next operation?  And, I suppose that is possible.  I will ring again tomorrow and ask if they can see an appointment for me on Monday the 23rd September which is the 'supposed' date for my next op.
  • All you can do is chase it up. Admin errors happen all the time. Phone your surgeon’s secretary. 
    I was referred on the cancer pathway and heard nothing for a month. I rang the hospital who told me my referral had been downgraded to routine. 
    You have to chase and chase. 

Dani 

Base of tongue cancer. T2N0M0 6 weeks Radiotherapy finished January 2019

I wrote a blog about my cancer. just click on the link below 

https://todaymycoffeetasteslikechristmasincostarica.com 

Macmillan Support Line - 0808 808 00 00, 7 days a week between 8am-8pm

Community Champion badge
  • Good evening Hazel, i expect its been a bit of a whirlwind for you with appointments, etc, and confusion sets in between you and your consultant, i remember sitting for 4 hours for what i thought was my checkup only to be told i was not on the list, thankfully i got seen but was a long day. I hope you manage to get it sorted, good luck.

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Thanks Dani, yes, I did try to ring the secretary, and was given three different numbers to try, all with answerphone messages.  In the end I had to ring the main switchboard who said that they had nothing down for me this Thursday (12th).  So I will ring again tomorrow and ask if there is anything down for me for the 23rd.  I have left two messages for my 'cancer nurse' who has never returned my calls (even though she told me to ring any time that I have any questions!)

Hugs

Hazel x

• i remember sitting for 4 hours for what i thought was my checkup only to be told i was not on the list,

I know, it's awful isn't it Chris, it's not something you need when you are worried sick about everything.  My surgeon, who is also my consultant is good, but the rest of the department seems to be a bit of a shambles.  Whilst I was there last week waiting to see my consultant there was a poor man who turned up expecting to have his surgery that day, only to be told it was shifted (and from what I could gather nobody had told him!)

I hope you manage to get it sorted, good luck.

Thank you Chris.

Hugs

Hazel x

• i remember sitting for 4 hours for what i thought was my checkup only to be told i was not on the list

Crazy isn't it? I had a biopsy after a hotspot on PET. I had two appointments for results, three hours apart, with both oncologist and surgeon. I phoned to ask which one to attend to be told both. So, fearing the worst...... I waited three hours watching people go in and out of the oncologist's consulting room. Finally, he told me I wasn't on his list but he'd give me the results anyway whereupon my surgeon popped up and they both gave me the good news that the cancer had gone. Those three hours were Hell. 

Dani 

Community Champion badge
  • Im pleased im not the only one Dani, what a lovely ending to your story though despite your concerns to begin with. 

Chris x

Its sometimes not easy but its worth it ! 

Community Champion Badge

• Finally got through to the clinic today and they apologised that they didn't contact me sooner, but they have only allocated the appointment with my surgeon today and want me to go in tomorrow.  Hopefully I will find out more then about what date I will have for the surgery.  I do know that it is going to be some more of the tonsil tissue removal and a neck dissection, but I don't think they will know how much or even any chemo/radio therapy I will need to have.

Hugs

Hazel x

• Thank Heavens!

Don't they mess you around.

Fingers cross you don't need RT

Dani 

Community Champion badge